Off Topic Cafe If it doesn't belong in any of the other forums. Post all Off Topic stuff here.

Crushed concrete or gravel for my driveway?

Old 07-31-2014, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 01 tib
Default Crushed concrete or gravel for my driveway?

I'm about to pull the trigger on some driveway work. Most excavating contractors are recommending crushed concrete over gravel.

There will be a significant sand base to raise the driveway up, then the crushed concrete or gravel topping to about 18" above what I have now. About 150' LF, if that matters. Local suppliers have gravel which should help the price on that.

What's the best between the two?
Old 07-31-2014, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Unless they are glued together with something (cement, sand, tar) into a new solid pavement I think they will both be similarly bad about shedding pebbles. Compacting with a vibrating roller when wet will help, but the company installing it should know all about that. Provided the crusher removes all the metal from the concrete, they will be similar in use. Price apparently varies wildly based on your sources. Crushed concrete has the advantage of being environmentally friendly, if that matters to you.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:44 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

So you're not paving it?

Maybe me just being crazy here, bit as a Tib owner I'm going for a solid concrete driveway. Loose substance driveways suck. At least for me, too low to really clear.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

I love the look of crushed granite. But, that and homes with dark stone walls is the thing to do these days in Texas.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:11 PM

Vehicle: 84 VW Rabbit, 01 Audi A8L, 08 VW GTI

Have you thought about paving it with recycled asphalt?

Should last longer than gravel/crushed concrete, and its solid. plus it will look better. I've heard its not a HUGE difference in price either.