Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

BOV and Wastegate's

Old 07-27-2014, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon
Default BOV and Wastegate's

What are the pro's and con's of setting your wastegate and BOV to two different pressure's. For example if I had the wastegate set to 12-14 psi and the BOV set to 8 psi for low-boost until I cuold upgrade the internals etc. Would this cause any harm? I can see several pro's in this.

1.) Ability to use a larger turbo in low boost apps meaning better thermal effeciency.

2.) Ability to "crank up the boost" by only adjusting the BOv and not sync'ing the whole system.

3.) Less boost creep because wastegate is set for 12 psi so it wuold start to crack at about 8-10 which is what you want anyway.

I just wasn't sure if the constant venting would damage the BOv or if would be able to handle that. Anyway just thinking aloud here please respond with any thoughts or questions.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Using the BOV as a boost controller is a bad idea. You can regulate the "pressure" that way, but your turbo will be flowing much more air than the engine is using, putting the compressor airflow way higher than it should be at the same pressure ratio which will cause efficiency to drop dramatically.

most reputable "adjustable" BOVs that I have researched are vacuum adjustments, not boost. the adjustment is meant to keep the blow off valve closed at idle, not closed under boost. the reference line does that on it's own by keeping the pressure differential across the diaphragm zero while the spring adds pressure from the outlet side.

yes boost will possibly increase faster because your wastegate will theoretically never open. not worth it though.