Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Avoiding turbo lag

Old 07-22-2014, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 04 Tib GT V6 Turbo
Default Avoiding turbo lag

What's done tuning wise, other than turbo sizing, to help reduce or eliminate turbo lag? I haven't put together my setup yet and I don't want to start spending money until I have all the right stuff. Am I asking for the impossible eliminating lag? Sorry if it sounds like a stupid question. From what I have read a few things about it, running smaller diameter crossover plumbing (hot side to the turbo) helps with velocity.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:05 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon i4

This depends on your power goals and how you intend to drive. For me I wanted a turbo that would not spool until 4000rpm so that putting around town would be as driving a non turbo vehicle, I also didnt want one that would choke out in higher RPM so I chose one with a .63a/r turbine. If you were to purchase the same turbo as me (GT3076r) with a .48a/r turbine it would spool around 1000rpm faster and shift your power band. Unfortunately there isnt much in the way of tuning to reduce turbo lag but some ignition timing work can be done to load the engine faster which will help with reducing lag.

Honestly there is nothing like the sound of your turbo spooling up to the boost threshold, this is the lag you speak of and it is the best foreplay you will ever have!
Old 07-22-2014, 05:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Supercharger

Or nos, the big ones.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:11 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

MGU-H
Old 07-22-2014, 09:43 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

stutter box

dont expect the drivetrain to last though
Old 07-28-2014, 12:01 PM

Vehicle: 99/ Hyundai /accent

Originally Posted by slow 2K2GT
This depends on your power goals and how you intend to drive. For me I wanted a turbo that would not spool until 4000rpm so that putting around town would be as driving a non turbo vehicle, I also didnt want one that would choke out in higher RPM so I chose one with a .63a/r turbine. If you were to purchase the same turbo as me (GT3076r) with a .48a/r turbine it would spool around 1000rpm faster and shift your power band. Unfortunately there isnt much in the way of tuning to reduce turbo lag but some ignition timing work can be done to load the engine faster which will help with reducing lag.

Honestly there is nothing like the sound of your turbo spooling up to the boost threshold, this is the lag you speak of and it is the best foreplay you will ever have!

Is they're any "cheaper" turbos that I could use to give that same effect to not hit boost until 4k?

I'd like to have a turbo like that cause my car will be a daily for a while when I turbo it here soon

Oh and where can I find more info on trying to find the right size turbo to use for differnt set up?
Old 07-29-2014, 12:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Cam timing. Adjustable gears/ pulley.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:53 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Having a Turbo that spools at lower RPM doesn't make it a bad daily driver. In fact, I argue the contrary. My first build I wanted something that spooled quickly and was very responsive. More of a street setup. My smaller Turbo would spool around 2500 and rocked driving it around town. Still got decent mileage. Remember, your right foot determines if you are in boost or not, not the Turbo. My engine was high compression at the time as well. Only ran about 12 psi, but it was so responsive!

I loved that setup. If you want to go bigger Turbo with less Turbo lag, look into a twin scroll Turbo and manifold. There are also tuning tips to help reduce lag, but it will always be there to some extent.