Computers, Gaming, & Technology Here you can talk about anything with circuit boards, or dilithium crystals, or flux capacitors. Show off your technology, computing, and gaming knowledge.

Anyone cut the cord lately on their cable provider?

Old 07-22-2014, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon
Default Anyone cut the cord lately on their cable provider?

Thinking about getting rid of cable and either switching to Direct TV or just doing Netflix. I like having local channels so I would have to get some type of antenna for them. DTV has some pretty good deals now and I would get the basic of packages. Looking to get some advice from those who have done it.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:42 PM

Vehicle: 03 Hyundai Accent

I haven't had cable in over 3 years. I watch everything I want on Hulu ($0 for regular, not plus), Amazon Prime ($99/yr), and YouTube.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:04 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I dumped cable a long time ago. I keep Netflix for the kid, other than that the internet and torrents give me all the entertainment I want.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:37 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

I have had directv for 12 years. They have great customer service, no landlines, competitive rates, sports out the wazoo, HD everything, and superior picture quality over land service. Sometimes you might find another provider, even Dish, as being slightly cheaper. But, there's a reason for that. My friend switched to Dish cause it was a few dollars cheaper, but now he wants to go back to Directv because he found the service sucks and they cut lots of channels.

The only downside I have ever seen with directv is the storm outtage for 30 min to an hour, but they are very rare here. Maybe once or twice a year. So if you live in a rainy area, you may think about that.

Btw, if you want directv, let me know so we can get the referral discounts.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:36 AM

Vehicle: 2013 BMW 128i

Originally Posted by JonGTR
I have had directv for 12 years. They have great customer service, no landlines, competitive rates, sports out the wazoo, HD everything, and superior picture quality over land service. Sometimes you might find another provider, even Dish, as being slightly cheaper. But, there's a reason for that. My friend switched to Dish cause it was a few dollars cheaper, but now he wants to go back to Directv because he found the service sucks and they cut lots of channels.

The only downside I have ever seen with directv is the storm outtage for 30 min to an hour, but they are very rare here. Maybe once or twice a year. So if you live in a rainy area, you may think about that.

Btw, if you want directv, let me know so we can get the referral discounts.

I switched from basic cable to DirectTV last year after Comcast made a digital tuner box mandatory for all basic cable users. The tuner box filtered out all of the basic channels HD counterparts that came in for free from the HDTV tuner in your TV. I said f*ck that because I wasn't going to pay 70 dollars for their basic digital package with sh*t channels, plus another 10-15 for HD on top of it.

I have a great DirectTV package, DVR, local channels, HD, On Demand, and HBO, for $63 dollars a month. So Comcast can go f*ck themselves. DirectTv has always been great to work with, and the only time the signal has ever gone out was when everything iced over and I just went out and got the ice off the dish and the signal was back.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:38 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

I don't pay to watch ads. When cable gets rid of ads, I'll pay for TV.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:47 AM

Vehicle: 03 Hyundai Accent

Originally Posted by i8acobra
Old 07-24-2014, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by i8acobra
That's where I pay $5 a month not to watch ads. I get dvr, record everything, and skip thru the commercials.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

^^^ So missing the point. Ads were intended to provide revenue to broadcasters because TV was free. When cable was introduced there were no ads because your subscription fees paid for the shows. Then the greed monster showed up to the party and someone said, "we can make a lot more money if we charge on the front and back end". That's when I said, "not from me".
Old 07-24-2014, 09:17 AM

No, I'm not missing the point. I argued your same point to someone the other day. But, like I said, I just pay an extra $5 for the inconvenience and I still get what I want. No biggie.

Now, if they get rid of Dvr and fast forwarding through commercials like they were trying to do, then I would cancel altogether.