Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Replaced my TPS, now Idle is worse

Old 07-17-2014, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon
Default Replaced my TPS, now Idle is worse

So I had the original Dae Sung TPS and it sucked. Would constantly do the idle dance when coming to a stop (revving from 1000 to 2000 rpm every couple seconds). Would also have a high 2000 rpm idle occasionally. So I bought the different brand that everybody says to use (K something...). Well this unit seems to suck even more, it has a high idle of almost 3000 rpm almost every time I'm coming to a stop. It doesn't do the up and down dance, but sure has an annoying high idle.

Does the computer take awhile to relearn the new TPS or something? Should I unhook the battery for awhile to reset it?
Old 07-17-2014, 12:38 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Tps shouldn't have much to do with idle. Your throttle is doing nothing at idle. I'd look at you Intake Air Control vavle. It may be sticking open. I fixed my dads on his GMC by using some wd40 and simply cleaning it out. Don't see why that wouldn't work on an RD as well.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Did you buy a new or a junkyard TPS? What happens when you tap or (gently) twist the TPS while the engine is running?
Old 07-18-2014, 02:53 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Well it was much better today. So I'm just thinking it takes awhile for the computer to re-learn the new TPS. I've already cleaned out my IACV with carb cleaner recently. If you search around, you'll see that the jumping 1000-2000 rpms is normally a bad TPS problem.

I'll wait a couple of days to see if the problem is fixed.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:55 PM

Vehicle: 99/ Hyundai /accent

I was just going to tell you..

Anytime your doing something new to you car that involves sensors or something related.

The ecu need to be reset so it can get that faulty code it threw out if the way.. If you would have just reset it before starting it after the new part you would have been fine.