Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Tein Super Street Coilovers

Old 07-09-2014, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 03 Tib GT V6
Default Tein Super Street Coilovers

http://thmotorsports.com/i-145266.as...Fabm7AodvD8A8w

Anybody have tein coil overs? I know there are cheaper ones you can buy like Ksports but I want something a little more better quality and dont mind paying $300-400 more than what Ksports and other cheaper brands go for if it means they will last longer and not wear out. Looking feedback on the teins if they are pretty good.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:33 AM

Vehicle: 2013 BMW 128i

I have Megan Racing coilovers on my Genesis and Tein Flex coilovers on my Supra. The Teins are hands down the better pick. I do find them to be a little more noisy (I think that has more to do with the car rather than the coilovers themselves though), but they are wonderful. The ride quality is better, the build quality is better. And they are green
Old 07-10-2014, 10:39 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

koni/bilstien/penske or go home

source: http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets18.html
Old 07-10-2014, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Öhlins or GTFO.

Between Tein and Ksport I would actually choose Ksport because they will (for a significant additional fee) send you shock dyno sheets with their shocks. Tein and Ksport coilovers both are oversprung and underdamped with the default setup for most applications. This is because a lot of people actually want the harsh ride this gives because racecar (not faster and rides worse). If you pick the proper spring rate for your application and get Ksport to dyno match your struts you'll actually have a pretty good setup.

These adjustments are not supposed to be used for switching between soft on the road and hard for racing or spirited driving. They are for matching two shocks to each other at the correct damping rate. For a given application there is only one correct damping setup for a particular spring at a particular ride height. Some of the best suspension setups are non-adjustable because they're set up to work together properly as a unit.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:39 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Floyd again

Selecting the right spring rate is a F*CK around, especially if the car is new to you.

Basically you have to model and somewhat dismantle the suspension system, because you wanna find out important info like the existing spring rate, leverage ratio of how it's installed, free length vs installed length, and some important component weights.

This is probably beyond the shadetree mechanic - it requires an understanding of what you are doing, although the actual nuts and bolts of the work is not overly difficult. A suspension shop with actual racing knowhow (NOT pedders/jiffy lube etc) does this kind of setup work on the regular.

The easier but much worse alternative is hearing subjective reports of how peoples' cars of the same model ride with various spring rates and picking what sounds right, but as you can imagine that is only as reliable as people on the internet. lol.