The Char Pit Post all rants & flames in here. No personal attacks will be allowed though.

Supreme Court is a bunch of morons

Old 07-01-2014, 02:49 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

The reason that the "If you don't want to be discriminated against work/live elsewhere" is invalid is that discrimination is wrong regardless of opinion.

Being an employer is a position of power, although people choose to become an employee this is not always an easy thing to turn down due to the realities of life. For example, I spent 19 months unemployed before taking a 55% pay cut versus my last job with complete loss of benefits. Why did I take the job? Because that's what was available and it would just *barely* cover bills. If I wanted to stand on principle I would have lost my house, leaving my child and I homeless. The ability to turn down this job was purely theoretical, especially when you consider that turning down the job offer would have terminated my unemployment benefits.

That's why there are protections against discrimination if you're in a position of power, whether it's a government entity, official, school, or generally an employer.

I definitely think this counts as discrimination because commonplace medical practices are not being covered due exclusively to someone's desire to modify your personal behaviors to suit their own ideological preference.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Originally Posted by i8acobra
If you don't choose to use contraception, that's fine, but don't tell other women they can't either because it's against your religion.

Your missing the actual point of the argument. Hobby Lobby will still cover some forms of contraception, what they did not like was that "Plan B" and some ACA excusable forms of abortion had to be covered by the insurance provided by the business. It was VERY clearly stated from the beginning what the actual underlying issue was. Like it or not, it's the moral equivalent of the federal government forcing Jews to eat bacon cheeseburgers for lunch. For that matter, try finding another retail store the size and scope of Hobby Lobby that is willing to not only provide, but fight for benefits for that percentage of it's workers in the first place. Most massive retail joints are fighting hard to keep employees part time so they don't have to.

Or we could just join the bandwagon and blindly hate
Old 07-02-2014, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Originally Posted by Tibbi
Your missing the actual point of the argument. Hobby Lobby will still cover some forms of contraception, what they did not like was that "Plan B" and some ACA excusable forms of abortion had to be covered by the insurance provided by the business. It was VERY clearly stated from the beginning what the actual underlying issue was. Like it or not, it's the moral equivalent of the federal government forcing Jews to eat bacon cheeseburgers for lunch. For that matter, try finding another retail store the size and scope of Hobby Lobby that is willing to not only provide, but fight for benefits for that percentage of it's workers in the first place. Most massive retail joints are fighting hard to keep employees part time so they don't have to.

No, you're missing the point. Doesn't matter what they were asking for. What matters is the effect of the court's decision.

Supreme Court Upholds Little Caesar’s Right to Feed Christian Employees to Lions

July 1, 2014 by Matt Horgan

WASHINGTON, DC–The Supreme Court ruled on Monday that Roman-owned pizza chain Little Caesar’s was within its rights to place Christian employees in an arena and then unleash starved, vicious lions and lionesses upon them. The court cited religious freedom as its guiding principle. The 5-to-4 ruling opened the door to potentially thousands of Christian Little Caesar employees nationwide being immediately fed to the top predators of the African savannah.

Little Caesar’s argued that the persecution of Christians and the feeding of them to ravenous big cats was a “deeply held” religious belief, that the continued survival of the roughly 6,000 Christian employees, as well as the fact that they remained on company payroll, imposed a “substantial financial burden” on their religious liberty.

The 5 conservative Justices agreed. Justice Samuel A. Alito Jr, the author of the majority opinion, wrote:

"while it is debatable that some harm may come to any Christians fed to a lion or lioness, there is certainly demonstrable harm being done to these animals that are denied the tasty, nutrient-rich Christians that their diet requires"

A Christian employee of the company, Ed Broyles, expressed dismay at the decision. “They’re gonna f*ckin’ feed me to a motherf*cking lion? But I only ever go to church on like Easter!”, he said, shaking visibly and sweating. “Jesus H Christ on a cracker, I’ve got a f*cking family!”

Little Caesar owner and CEO, Little Caesar himself, applauded the ruling. When asked how soon his company would begin killing off its Christian employees he responded, “Carpe Diem.”
Old 07-02-2014, 10:32 AM

Vehicle: 2013 BMW 128i

Originally Posted by Tibbi

Can you tell me how Plan B and IUDs are forms of abortion?

All they do is prevent implantation. Which, until there is implantation, a woman isn't pregnant and technically doesn't have a fetus, and therefore technically doesn't have anything to abort.

Normal BC pills can prevent the implantation of a fertilized egg too IF an egg somehow gets fertilized while taking BC pills. But because that is in the fine print and not the main way that pregnancy is prevented they are okay to be covered. COME ON.

Having their employees (or any employee of any future company that tries to deny benefits they used to offer based on religious beliefs) take Plan B if they need to or have an IUD because its more cost effective than BC pills and doesn't have hormones DOES NOT have any effect on their lives and need to STFU and stop thinking its ok to just flat out refuse to have any part in it because they love Jesus. Their Jesus love should have no bearing on my health insurance coverage.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:52 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Wow, a lot of you have written quite a lot in an attempt to win an argument over a bunch of keyboard jockies. How many letters have you written to your public officials about the matter?
Old 07-02-2014, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Originally Posted by JonGTR
Wow, a lot of you have written quite a lot in an attempt to win an argument over a bunch of keyboard jockies. How many letters have you written to your public officials about the matter?

Oh, I write lots and lots of letters. I'm sure I'm probably on a watch list or two.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I sign everything with lead.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:36 PM

Vehicle: 2013 BMW 128i

Originally Posted by 187sks
I sign everything with lead.

Lead and blood.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:52 PM