Hyundai Accent Forum The Hyundai Accent Forum. Hyundai's little champ. While the Hyundai Accent and Hyundai Excel may be small, they respond very well to aftermarket modifications and is among the favorites for Hyundai tuners.

Upgrading from LC2 to MC, anything I should know?

Old 06-26-2014, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2005 Accent GSI
Default Upgrading from LC2 to MC, anything I should know?

So my 2005 GSi is falling the F$%K apart, and I've found a good deal on a fully loaded 2007 Accent in very good shape. Is there anything I should know? The MC is sitting just over 100,000 km (60,000 mi) so it's still pretty new. I'm looking for any random advice people want to throw at me. Or if you're interested in buying a broke-ass Accent, let me know!
Old 06-26-2014, 02:07 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Well, the torsion beam rear suspension is a step backwards.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by 187sks
Well, the torsion beam rear suspension is a step backwards.

Yeah, I'm aware, but every car has beam suspension now. I think the LC is actually the last sub-compact to come with 4-wheel fully independent suspension, which actually makes them pretty cool cars; I just wish the aftermarket would realize that and actually make parts for them.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:26 PM
Administrator

Let us know how it goes. I've had no interest in the MC for several reasons, but it would be interesting to hear your perspective since the price is low enough that picking up a cheap one would be possible.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:32 PM

Let us know how it goes. I've had no interest in the MC for several reasons, but it would be interesting to hear your perspective since the price is low enough that picking up a cheap one would be possible.

I'm mostly interested in it because my car has no A/C or cruise, and manual windows, locks and mirrors. It's time for a little bit of luxury (just a little).
Old 06-26-2014, 02:45 PM

Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS

I owned an 04 and an 07 Accent at the same time. I loved my 04. Hated the 07, mainly because it was an auto. Check for rust around the rear fenders, my 07 seemed to have a lot of rust issues for a newer car. Also had some issues with the front end but that could have been the wife slamming into a curb and not telling me. Lol. I was offered 3K on trade and got the dealership to give me 4K, just to give you and idea of what the dealerships are paying for the cars. Mine was a 2dr HB Sport model in black with under 100000kms. If I were you I would try to find another low miles LC2.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:20 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Not sure the different trim level you guys get, but the only MCs that got cruse down here were the manual SEs. For some batshit reason the harness is different on the other trims, I fought this fight with them for a long time before the research yielded this result. There are aftermarket cruise systems, but they suck. Make sure if you are intent on getting one with cruise you inspect that thoroughly.

The 07 is the lighter of the models, sometime in 08 they added a bunch of foam sound deadening which is somewhat nice, but adds a ton of weight. I never weighed my 07 to know for certain, but there is a very distinct difference between it and my 09. My 07 got insane mileage and my 09, while auto (*grumble grumble*) struggles to get 35mpg (average) these days.

It's a fun little car, been great on road trips with the wife and plenty of space for an adult or 2 on the back (never trying 3 again) from time to time. It's more spacious than the LCs, but from a performance standard I'd easily say no where near an "upgrade." As a DD it's great though. Mine has a few battle scars sadly, my wife was t-boned by a Mercedes 3 weeks after we bought it new, it came away better than the German and only needed a few minor things. It's had a few other minor scrapes (no at-faults but still annoying) and kept us plenty safe. My 07 died when an 80's Caddy decided to run a stop sign, but I'm glad to say I walked away from that crash without a scratch, so it's also pretty safe.

I say do it! I won't trade mine ever. I love that car despite all of it's faults. Plus it's been very good to us.

Just keep the LC for fun. The MC won't be much use in that department.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:25 PM

Thanks for the information! Yes it's a manual SE ("Sport") with aftermarket cruise and remote starter. All I know is that they were dealer installed and they work, however the Air Bag light is always on. I have no idea what that means, but it's probably impossible to find out without setting off a few air bags. However the car has a 7 year warranty which is good for 2 more months. I might just take it to the dealer and tell them to fix it. I need it as a DD, the LC might get stripped and caged and used for lapping days.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:53 PM
Administrator

Get the dealership to at least scan the airbag system.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:09 AM

Get the dealership to at least scan the airbag system.
It turns out that the remote starter was installed at a Best Buy and it may be the cause of the Air Bag light. The (now) previous owner bought the 4 year extended warranty for the starter and it's been transferred to me, so BB is going to take a look at it and fix it for free if it was their fault. If not, I take it to the dealer.
Attached Images