Hyundai Sonata Forum The Hyundai Sonata Forum. The Sonata (around since 1989) and Hyundai XG300/XG350 (new for 2002) pickup the near-luxury segment for Hyundai. Find out where to get all the luxuries Korea is holding back on (HID, navigation systems, etc.) and how to tune your Hyundai Sonata, Azera, or XG for performance.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2009 Honda Accord
Default Newbie

Yesterday June 21, my best buddy bought a 2014 Sonata 2.0T loaded. I love it and am considering buying one. (I have a 2009 Accord) I'm interested in the best suspension mods, except coilovers, that will improve cornering and quicken steering. Any and all info will be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Old 06-22-2014, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

With the 2014 being so new, chances are there isnt much out there just yet. Since it's the turbo version, there are things you can do easily to upgrade engine performance like bigger intercooler, blow off valve, boost controller, etc. I know there are canned tunes available for previous years of the Sonata Turbo, but not sure if the 2014's carry the same ecu maps as the previous. If they do, then any canned tune for the previous years should work. But a custom tune would be the way to go obviously.

There are coil overs and springs available for the 2011-2013 years. If the 2014 shares the same suspension, then any of those springs and coil overs will fit.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Visionz
With the 2014 being so new, chances are there isnt much out there just yet. Since it's the turbo version, there are things you can do easily to upgrade engine performance like bigger intercooler, blow off valve, boost controller, etc. I know there are canned tunes available for previous years of the Sonata Turbo, but not sure if the 2014's carry the same ecu maps as the previous. If they do, then any canned tune for the previous years should work. But a custom tune would be the way to go obviously.

There are coil overs and springs available for the 2011-2013 years. If the 2014 shares the same suspension, then any of those springs and coil overs will fit.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:51 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

A good set of high performance summer tires, or even semi slicks, will quicken up the steering dramatically.

Take your car to a quality suspension shop (not pep boys or whatever) and they will be able to order good springs and dampers to suit your needs.

Camber bolts are generic but can interfere with your geometry negatively, but maybe some camber tops could be adapted off an earlier year of car.

Get an aggressive wheel alignment too.

A suspension shop will be able to take care of all of these tasks easily.

What are you going to be using the car for?
Old 06-24-2014, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by wheel_of_steel
A good set of high performance summer tires, or even semi slicks, will quicken up the steering dramatically.

Take your car to a quality suspension shop (not pep boys or whatever) and they will be able to order good springs and dampers to suit your needs.

Camber bolts are generic but can interfere with your geometry negatively, but maybe some camber tops could be adapted off an earlier year of car.

Get an aggressive wheel alignment too.

A suspension shop will be able to take care of all of these tasks easily.

What are you going to be using the car for?
Old 06-24-2014, 05:29 PM

Thanks for your responses. The car would be a daily driver, big city traffic and highway. I'm one who likes tight cornering, no body roll, sure-footed steering.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:53 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Your best payoff would be with some koni yellows and quality tires. Matching dampers to your particular car is something best done by a suspension shop with decent racing experience. But those two modifications will give you incredible bang for buck, and you'll still retain almost all of your daily driving comfort.