Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

HID's on a 2001 Tiburon

Old 06-20-2014, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon
Default HID's on a 2001 Tiburon

So who's done it? Did you do the H7 low beams and H1 high beams? What about the H3 fog lights? How does the cutoff look with stock headlamps? I imagine it'll be good since it's projector.

Did you guys have to use and error eliminator resistors or extra beefed up wiring harnesses? Or just the bulb and ballast and you're good to go?

Got any pics of what you installed? I'm thinking of ddm tuning HID's 35W 5k. Looks like I might need a 9006 to H7 adapter: http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DD...ast-35W-or-55W
Old 06-20-2014, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

I did the low beams when I had my Tib. I wouldnt do the high beams because it takes a minute or two for them to warm up and be fully lit. Most of the time you have to flick your high back to low if you're in traffic. Just get a good set of non-HID bulbs for the highs.

No beefed up wiring harness or resistors are needed unless you get the 55 watt. The 35's are just fine with factory harnesses and wiring. Just slap on the ballast and bulbs, and you're good to go!
Old 06-20-2014, 11:44 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Sweet, thanks for the info...it'll be nice and cheap then! I was just confused by the adapter harness since this link on DDM says I need an adapter harness to convert H7 to the 9006 wiring. Is that not true? http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/H1...-Adaptor-Cable

I probably won't go with HID fogs (don't see the need). I'll just get some cheap color matching LED H3 bulbs.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:37 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

A good kit should be completely plug and play. Search for Xantec on eBay. Mine have last for over 10 years and was a simple plug and play install.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:05 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

^ on Xantec's! I have had them in the Tib, and the Genesis. Zero issues what so ever!
Old 06-20-2014, 07:32 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

I've had DDMs in mine for years now, no issue. They're even the old set with ballasts as big as the ecu.

Stick with the 35w set, iirc the 55ws were known to get too hot for the housing. Also as has been previously mentioned don't worry about the highs, more of a pita than help. Do look into getting a set for the fogs though (if you have them.) They're a huge help. Another thing to consider are the side markers and corners. If you plan to upgrade to LEDs (or have already) they will be 5k temp, so get 5K bulbs to match. I have 6k and form time to time the mismatch irritates me. Just FYI
Old 06-20-2014, 08:56 PM

Vehicle: 84 VW Rabbit, 01 Audi A8L, 08 VW GTI

Yup DDMTuning HID's in my 2001, for low beams only. The only thing that bothers me is I had to cut a hole in the cap on the back of the headlights, but its really no big deal they still seal fine.

35W 6,000K bulbs No need for any of the extra things like the mounting kit/error free/adaptor kit. Just use some nice double sided tape to mount the ballasts.

Old crappy picture, 10,000K Low beams with Silverstar Ultra high beams. non of the current 6,000K bulbs

(http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/a...y/3e09b548.jpg)
Old 06-23-2014, 12:48 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Retrofit HIDs are a bad idea and illegal, regardless of color temperature.

It doesn't matter if you have projector headlights

Now, what about those "retrofit" jobs in which the beam cutoff still appears sharp? Don't be fooled; it's an error to judge a beam pattern solely by its cutoff. In many lamps, especially the projector types, the cutoff will remain the same regardless of what light source is behind it. Halogen bulb, HID capsule, cigarette lighter, firefly, hold it up to the sun—whatever. That's because of the way a projector lamp works. The cutoff is simply the projected image of a piece of metal running side-to-side behind the lens. Where the optics come in is in distributing the light under the cutoff. And, as with all other automotive lamps (and, in fact, all optical instruments), the optics are calculated based not just on where the light source is within the lamp (focal length) but also the specific photometric characteristics of the light source...which parts of it are brighter, which parts of it are darker, where the boundaries of the light source are, whether the boundaries are sharp or fuzzy, the shape of the light source, and so forth.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html

If you want to upgrade your lighting, simply cop a set of +30 or +100 non tinted halogen bulbs and polish your plastic lenses.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:49 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Elantra GLS Sportswagon

Sorry i am not a fan of "hid kits" or being blinded by them, when you cause an accident or fatality don't cry you didn't know they where not legal.

"Certain products, including HID Kits and certain headlights which are approved for the European market but vary from the American market parts are for race use only and do not have DOT (Department of Transportation) approval. Any misuse of said product is done so at the buyers own risk, DDM Tuning is not responsible for any complaints, fines, or damages done for driving on public roads with non DOT approved parts."

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Content/Terms-Conditions http://www.ddmtuning.com/Content/General-FAQ

http://www.sema.org/?q=node/4182
Old 06-23-2014, 05:47 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

kLRf2.jpg

>driving along at night (as is my job)

>hella JDM blueberry HIDmobile appears going the other way

>night vision encounters an ultramarine apocalypse

>I can hear my retinas sizzling

>give them the high beams because they're a fuckwit

>ignorant ricer gives hi beams back

>the hi beams are actually dimmer than the bullshit low beams

>encounter is over

>can see cyan and magenta reproduction of their shitbox for the next five minutes

send every HID bulb to the depths of hell