Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Tiburon won't start with low gas tank

Old 05-23-2014, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon
Default Tiburon won't start with low gas tank

I've noticed this started happening the past few weeks. Whenever I get to a somewhat low gas level (about 300 miles on the odometer and 3-4 gallons remaining in the tank), my car takes several attempts to get started. It'll turn over just fine (starter is good; battery is 4 months old)...just doesn't start until the third attempt usually and after giving the gas pedal a few blips. Then I fill up with gas and it's fine until tank gets low again.

The only thing I've changed on the car recently is the catalytic converter and the PVC valve. It starts just fine everyday until the gas level gets to about a 1/4 tank remaining. Once I get it going, it'll work fine after engine is warmed up, but at the end of the work day when engine is cold, it's back to a few starts to get it going...and only with low fuel level.

What should I check first? Fuel filter or fuel pump maybe? Thanks.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

It may be losing fuel pressure . . . does it start if you just keep cranking it (vs. several shorter cranking attempts?) If you leave the key in the Run position for 30 seconds before starting, will it still have hard starting?
Old 05-26-2014, 11:03 AM

It'll only crank for about 5 seconds before it stops turning over, then I have to try it again. For some reason it won't let me crank foe any longer then that. And it takes 3 attempts usually before firing up.

Next time I get to low tank, I'll try putting it in run for 30 seconds before cranking. Is that just letting the fuel pump run and prime it?
Old 05-26-2014, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

It's been a long time (thank God) since I had to try it but I seem to recall my car will crank for longer than I'm comfortable holding the key in Start. Yes, the fuel pump will run and prime the lines in Run.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:06 PM

Well of course the issue won't repeat now. I ran her down to about 1.5 gallons left and still no problem. Guess I will update this thread if it ever happens again in the future!
Old 06-05-2014, 06:04 PM

Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

my gf's 98 elantra has a similar issue when she fills up w/ gas it is reluctant to start-... pumping the throttle seems to help.

never seemed to have an issue when low on gas. she does have a cel for evap leak.

any cel?
Old 06-05-2014, 10:08 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

sounds to me like you had a low battery. It should crank way more then just 5 times. I would check your battery. If you have a weak battery, you may also have a weaker spark on start-up, adding to the start problem.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:52 PM

No check engine light or codes picked up through torque app.

I'll check my battery. I sure hope it isn't that (just replaced the battery a few months ago!). Not sure why, but it definitely wouldn't let me crank for more than a few seconds at a time. Maybe it's starter related and not fully engaging or something?