Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Limits of the stock suspension

Old 05-01-2014, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 tiburon
Default Limits of the stock suspension

Anybody taken their stock suspension to its limits? I ask because I know tibs are supposed to be pretty darn good and the suspensions were designed by really good engineers. I used to take my tib through some twisty roads and it handled it fine. Im on eibach springs and kyb struts now and when I go through the same twistys I dont feel a difference. Maybe if I pushed the car harder it would be better than the stock suspension but

If you have taken the stock springs and struts to its max capabilities, how fast where you going and what type of driving was it?
Old 05-02-2014, 06:11 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

From what I remember, there has been a few people who went autocrossing with their stock set up and did ok. Just slap on a decent set of tires, and maybe front and rear strut bars, and you'll do well.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:29 PM

Vehicle: 01/hyundai/tiburon

did it died!?
Old 05-04-2014, 03:53 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

They are set up for understeer from factory. Even the last of the GK update models are getting to be a few years old now, so the dampers and rubbers are guaranteed to be sub optimal at best. If we're talking about GK or RDs, any stock suspension is going to be flogged by now.

So yeah, vague steering, floaty ride, understeer, squeaks and rattles abound etc. Par for a 90s econosport fwd.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

There is so much that could go wrong in a turn its hard to pin it on maxing out the strut/springs. The way you took the turn, your tires, and a bunch of geometry stuff could be the cause of failing at the turn. I have seen math/information/pictures that show slamming a FWD car to the ground on springs can make the geometry worse and give forces on the car more leverage to cause problems for you. One way to tell if you maxed out the spring/struts would be checking to see if it ran out of travel. I have heard of using a ziptie on the strut. Set it tight at the bottom of the rod. If you go through a turn and that ziptie is now all the way at the top/on the bumpstop.. you fully compressed it / that is bad. Then you have to ask yourself, why did it run out of travel? Sway bars on my elantra seemed to have a bigger impact on handling that my springs did because it stopped it from rolling over like a boat and unloading two tires. As old as the tibs are getting the bushings would probably do a lot for handling just to keep things where they need to be under load. So if you have good tires and know how to take a corner, with the tibs stock sways I could see it not feeling that much better with just springs/struts. It wasn't that bad to begin with or your version of maxing it out is going 2mph higher than the recommended speed on the sign going into the corner?
Old 10-04-2014, 01:48 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I push my 01 Tiburon through corners and it hangs doing a 4 wheel drift with the gas pedal pegged and my car has 228,000 miles on the stock engine/tranny. I also have front/rear strut tower braces and polyeurathane bushings all on the rear suspension and stock rubber bushings on semi new lower control arms up front, newer axles, polyurethane lower motor mounts, newish KYB struts and strut mounts and older H&R springs. I had eibach springs on the car and they were way to soft in my opinion. I switched over to H&R and they rock in my opinion compared to eibach. They are noticably stiffer going over bumps but its worth it when im pushing it. Also run a good set of tires. I am currently running 16" wheels that are slightly taller and wider 205/55/16 with General G-MAX AS03 tires and they are awesome on dry ground and have great side walls that give reliable feedback as they start losing grip through turns and they have excellent braking performance. They do not perform to good in the rain compared to other tires but I have fun with it.