Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

$4,000 enough for a turbo build?

Old 04-22-2014, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2002 Beta Accent GSi
Default $4,000 enough for a turbo build?

Got my taxes back, and I have $4,000 to drop on my car. I have been happy with my beta swap for a long time but now its time to go the next step. My engine has 78,000 miles on it. Would 4 stacks be enough for a good turbo kit, gauges, and fuel stuff (injectors and pump)? I have no idea what Im going to do for tuning though.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:52 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

How are you piecing it together? Are you going Garrett or something economical? Are you doing all the work yourself? How are you tuning it? Assuming no internals, you should definitely be able to accomplish this as a self-install

Tuning will likely put you over the budget. Whether Haltech or having BTR (shopbtr.com) tune it, it's gonna be pricey. BTR flies in their tuner from Korea for dyno days, but it's gonna be tough finding one near you. I'd expect $700 or so for a dyno tune, but that may be half the price of a haltech (before install and tune)
Old 04-23-2014, 06:18 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

4 grand will def get you a decent kit with everything you need. Probably wont have any internals though unless you increase your budget a little. Stock internals on a beta will be fine though if you're running low boost. If I recall, I think there were a few beta owners running stock internals with around 300 horses which should be good for a small car like an Accent.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:13 AM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

As has been said, you can run all day and night in a very respectable power on stock internals for 4k.

Internals will cut into that price deep. For example:

Pistons~ $500

Rods~ $1000

Valvetrain~ $500

PnP~ ??? (really depends on the shop and work done)

You can burn through motors for the cost of building the bottom end alone. It really depends on power goals and acceptable down time.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:44 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

I've heard it's pretty acceptable to run 12+ psi through a stock beta without trouble. Of course, that depends on a good tune. 4k should be plenty man, be savvy about sourcing parts and you'll piss it in.

AEM FICs are dirt cheap, same for a wideband, pay for your own dyno time, and then do as much of the fabrication and fitting yourself as possible. Secondhand turbo stuff goes for peanuts, especially when it's off someone's half finished project or something.

Pay most attention to getting the tune up to a high standard and you'll be laughing.