Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Smoking a bluish gray color from exhaust

Old 04-20-2014, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon
Default Smoking a bluish gray color from exhaust

So my Tiburon is now starting to puff smoke occasionally. I swear, its one thing after another with this damn car. Its only happened a few times, and not on startup or with a cold engine. It only happens when engine is hot and when starting to move in first gear after a stop sign. I'll come to a stop then start to give it gas in first at 1500rpm or so...then a puff of smoke comes out the tailpipe for just a second or two. Then back to normal driving. No stuttering or weird actions or sounds from the car. What would cause this blue/gray smoke?

Its only happened three times out of probably 50 stops or so this past week. Thanks.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:30 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Tuscon

Blue smoke is oil.

Check the PCV valve, if its stuck open then you'll be burning oil vapors at Idle which will cause your smoke.

There's other possibilities but I'd start there as the valve is cheap and should be replaced as a maintaince item anyways.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:44 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Thanks for the info. Not sure how to check the pcv so I'll just replace it. I did take it off a couple weeks ago and sprayed it out with carb cleaner. It would rattle when I shook it...not sure if that's good or not.

It does have a slight burning smell when driving now. Not sure if its related to this issue or the slight oil leak I have off the back of the engine block...maybe dripping on my exhaust.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:57 AM

Vehicle: 2016 Tucson Sport AWD

I was about to say turbo seals are blown..... and then I saw it was on a tibby...