Computers, Gaming, & Technology Here you can talk about anything with circuit boards, or dilithium crystals, or flux capacitors. Show off your technology, computing, and gaming knowledge.

GS5 or One M8?

Old 04-18-2014, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T
Default GS5 or One M8?

Upgrade time, and I'm not sure yet whether I should just hold onto my current Nexus phone for a few months (it's perfectly fine and has zero issues) or if I should jump in and get the latest and greatest.

Obviously my 2 choices would be either the Samsung Galaxy S5 or the HTC One M8. Of all the reviews I have read (3 total...lol), they all point to the HTC being the superior of the two. There are a couple of things that do make the S5 better, like 16 MP versus 4 MP camera, and the S5 if waterproof with a fingerprint scanner and heart rate monitor...both of which I could care less about.

I've never owned an HTC phone, but they obviously dont have the marketing budget of Samsung, and I know Samsungs biggest competitor is the iPhone.

So what do you guys think...S5 or M8?
Old 04-18-2014, 12:36 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I'm on the m8 right now. It's decent, but only after some serious root+bloatware removal. See my post from earlier today on G+ http://plus.adamoutler.com

I will probly switch back to the Nexus5 shortly, then to the Oppo Find7 when it becomes available.

Don't buy Samsung. A few years ago I would recommend them, but they've become the locked down Apple of Android. Samsung devices aren't worth the money anymore since they reduce your choices in what you can do with your device.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Originally Posted by DTN
Don't buy Samsung. A few years ago I would recommend them, but they've become the locked down Apple of Android. Samsung devices aren't worth the money anymore since they reduce your choices in what you can do with your device.

Which, for the record, matters 0% to normal phone users. If you don't spend your free time developing software or rooting around in the OS, there's nothing wrong with Samsung.

I just got the S5 and switched to T-Mobile because they allow the S5 to use wifi and LTE at the same time. No other US carrier allows this.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:58 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

It should. After you're done with your phone what are you doing with it? I have one dedicated remote and another web server. Removing the crap is important for a special-purpose device. It adds value to the device overall.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:09 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

I'm probably going with the M8. I loved my old HTC phones. Super solid hardware! I'm on a SGS2, and this phone is always having issues.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 84 VW Rabbit, 01 Audi A8L, 08 VW GTI

So DTN whats your opinion on the Find 7 vs Find 7a?

I read a review the other day saying the 7a was actually faster, because it didn't have to power the extreme resolution display of the "bigger" Find 7. Still on my old HTC EVO LTE at the moment and thinking about upgrading.

I have to drop Sprint too... I can't deal with their terrible service anymore, so I need some advice there also.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Originally Posted by DTN
It should. After you're done with your phone what are you doing with it? I have one dedicated remote and another web server. Removing the crap is important for a special-purpose device. It adds value to the device overall.

YOU are not a normal phone user. MOST people either trade in, sell, or toss their old phone in a "junk drawer". Example, my 32GB iPhone 5S is gonna be sold on eBay since they seem to go for around $500. I won't be using it as a non-phone device.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2003 Tiburón GT

I've had all the at&t variants of the Galaxy line up 'til the S4 and I liked them all. I've had a couple HTC phones and the latest was the ONE X and loved the build quality and the screen was bright and clear. But i got rid lf it because it kept loosing signal and saying it was missing the sim card. Even after putting some tape on the sim to push it closer to the connertors. The phone was never dropped and after searching on google i found that it was a common problem. Ditched it for thr GS4 and got no regrets.

Right now i have the LG G Flex and love it. The ridiculous long battery life makes it worth every penny. It's a HUGE phone though.

P.S.

I used to root and flash custom roms on my phones but now I don't bother at all. I dont see the need of it anymore.