Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Finding the leak

Old 04-18-2014, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon
Default Finding the leak

Would it be acceptable to spray down the engine and everywhere that i see oil and clean it to find the source of an engine leak. then i get a burning smell when ever i put my 2000 tiburon into over drive and or when i rev high and go up hills.

Any ideas
Old 04-18-2014, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

If it's an automatic you might want to start looking into a replacement transaxle, as these can die from using the wrong fluid or too-long oil change intervals. A burning smell from an automatic would be bad. If it's stick shift you may need a new clutch/pressure plate and a flywheel resurfacing.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:41 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

o/d I am assuming its an auto. 4th gear in the auto is terribly weak, I've personally blown through end bearings in my rebuilds in a matter of house with spirited driving. Sounds very similar to issue I had with my 3rd rebuild. Try driving it with o/d OFF and see if you have any trans issue aside from the obvious fact that your now limited in speed. It sucks, but so does the auto. It sounds like someone used cheap oil in the trans, which does all kinds of nasty things internally. With the smell I doubt that you're lucky enough, but you can try to take this to a dealer and have them drain and swap the oil. It's pretty much that or the transmission is fully toast.

Sorry, wish I had better news.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:33 AM

Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

No i apprrciate the posted stocker and tibbi. Ill have to check on ebay for one. Any specific brand or model i should pay attention of tips and whst not
Old 04-20-2014, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Brand or model of what?