Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

new member needs help! - idler / O2 codes

Old 04-15-2014, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 tuburon RD
Default new member needs help! - idler / O2 codes

ive just recently purchased a 2001 tiburon rd, im having electrical and idling issues. the issues are 1000-1500 idle surge, no reverse lights, high idle until car comes to a stop(while driving). my current mods are, kyb lowering springs, vogtland springs(2 in. drop), equal lenght ceramic headers, with port matched head with a 3 angle valve job, bored throttlebody, arp studs and bolts from top to bottom of engine, 1.8 liter intake cams and a stand alone ecu, full 2-1/2 inch one off mandrell bent stainless xhaust, sachs clutch, 6-8lb fidanza flywheel, auto to manual swap. i know the o2 wiring harness has a broken pin on the connector, im not sure but either the maf, or map sensor(not sure which it is)is malfunctioning due to the tranny swap, any answers or suggestions are greatly appreciated, thanks in advance
Old 04-15-2014, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

tranny swap doesn't have an impact on the MAFS. Do you mean a/t to m/t conversion?

Swapping from a/t to m/t (or vice versa) requires a plug on the top of the transmission to be replaced. It's square on one and circular on the other, and that controls reverse lights. If you don't replace it (or splice into it) then reverse lights won't work. I don't think there's any other impact.

If the ECU pins weren't messed with in the tranny swap, your battery may be overcharging. There may be an ECU pinout here, I think it's pin 48 or 51-ish that you have to tap into a constant 12V source.

I'd look to your ignition/spark plugs/wires first for the idle issue. I'd make sure your MAFS (black tube before the throttle body) has the arrow pointing in the direction of air flow.

Fix your O2 sensor. Report back which codes you have.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by majik
tranny swap doesn't have an impact on the MAFS. Do you mean a/t to m/t conversion?

Swapping from a/t to m/t (or vice versa) requires a plug on the top of the transmission to be replaced. It's square on one and circular on the other, and that controls reverse lights. If you don't replace it (or splice into it) then reverse lights won't work. I don't think there's any other impact.

If the ECU pins weren't messed with in the tranny swap, your battery may be overcharging. There may be an ECU pinout here, I think it's pin 48 or 51-ish that you have to tap into a constant 12V source.

I'd look to your ignition/spark plugs/wires first for the idle issue. I'd make sure your MAFS (black tube before the throttle body) has the arrow pointing in the direction of air flow.

Fix your O2 sensor. Report back which codes you have.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:17 PM

ok, i just got back from the parts store i work at, scanned the check engine light and came up with 2 codes which are p0134, p0506, the arrow is pointing the correct way
Old 04-15-2014, 01:46 PM
Administrator

I'm leaning toward the Throttle Position Sensor. Find yours on the Throttle Body, report back if it's Kefico (sp?) or Dae Sung. One of the two was known to be faulty and need replacing.

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/...T/IMAG0841.png

https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/f...ng-and-erratic - Dae Sung was the problem child. If it's a Dae Sung TPS, I'd search for the Kefico sensor and replace it. Probably a $15 part online
Old 04-15-2014, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Tap on the TPS and give a firm twist to it as well. A very bad one will cause engine speed to change.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:11 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

My money is on TPS as well. Seen that several times over.

Ordered my replacement at Autozone and in the duralast box off the shelf was a Kefico
Old 04-16-2014, 11:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

The p0134 is the O2 sensor you said had a busted pin. The p0506 is the idle speed control motor. Make sure it's plugged in and plumbed correctly. Make sure your bored TB isn't leaking air when closed. If that doesn't fix it, replace the ISC motor.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:51 AM
Administrator

I totally missed the bored throttle body. is it a purple BBTB that was purchased, or is it custom work that was done?
Old 04-17-2014, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by majik
I totally missed the bored throttle body. is it a purple BBTB that was purchased, or is it custom work that was done?