Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

01 Tib rocks when A/C compressor kicks on

Old 04-09-2014, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon
Default 01 Tib rocks when A/C compressor kicks on

It seems to be getting worse lately. When I'm running the A/C, you can feel/hear the compressor clutch kick on (about every 1-2 minutes). You know it's on because the car almost feels like it's braking when it kicks in. It almost throws my head forward a little. It's pretty violent compared to the past. Is this a sign of the compressor going bad? Or is it normal to be able to easily feel the compressor clutch kick on? Can you guys feel the car rock or feel like the brakes are on when it kicks on?
Old 04-09-2014, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

No. The only thing I notice is that the engine speed changes if the car is idling. If your compressor is almost seized up, it may be resisting turning with a large amount of friction that is a huge drag on the engine. Find a repair shop that will give you a free evaluation.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:57 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

More likely, motor mount.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:07 AM

I acually just changed my roll post mounts in hopes of getting rid of the car rocking/lurching back and forth in between shifts or when letting off the gas to coast. Unfortunetely that didn't really fix that problem...probably have to poly the roll post mounts.

So you guys don't feel engine/power cutback when the compressor clutch kicks on? It's very apparent in my car.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

Wait, are you talking about the mounts beside the struts or the ones under the engine? The ones under the engine are the roll stops, and they are 100% destroyed by this time if they haven't been replaced. Filling mine with silicone rubber stopped the engine clunking back & forth and making the car lurch during acceleration/deceleration.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:33 AM

I replaced the ones under the transmission, mounted on the crossbar support. But it didn't really help with my bucking car when trying to shift or let off the gas smoothly. I think I'll try filling them with polyurethane to stiffen them up.

I noticed the front bottom roll post mount has a huge opening for the bolt to go through. Is there a way to tighten that up so its not so big?

But my original question was just if its normal to feel power loss and the engine pull back (almost like its breaking) when the A/C compressor kicks on.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

Not for my car. I don't notice it at all.
Old 10-04-2014, 01:54 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I have a 2001 Tiburon that is experiencing similar AC issues. If I turn my AC on at like 50mph it feels like the compressor is partially seized due to the big shock you get and the engine power you loose. I can't run the AC at stop lights because it vibrates the car to bad. I also have poly mounts on my lower engine mounts. I have a noticeable power decrease with it on too.

The compressor has 228,000 miles on it. I think its time to look for a new one before this one fails.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:59 PM

I used to notice a huge difference when my ac kicked in. After I replaced the old ac condensor fan it was MUCH better.