Hyundai Accent Forum The Hyundai Accent Forum. Hyundai's little champ. While the Hyundai Accent and Hyundai Excel may be small, they respond very well to aftermarket modifications and is among the favorites for Hyundai tuners.

Timing belt change

Old 03-05-2014, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Accent
Default Timing belt change

Need to get my timing belt changes and I cant decide if I want to do myself with a friends help or just go pay $250 to have it done. Ive never done it but I'm sure I can figure it out. But then again, if I screw it up then my engine goes boom. So is it just better to go and pay someone who has done it and knows what they are doing?
Old 03-05-2014, 05:15 PM

Vehicle: 03 Hyundai Accent

$250 is a hell of a deal. I'd do that. I took on my mom's to save her over $400 and due to a faulty belt, it failed and caused valve damage. She wasn't going to make me replace the engine, so she ended up getting a new car. If she had taken it somewhere she would have had some recourse.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:29 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Tuscon

The older Hyundai 4cylinders are by far the easiest motor to change a timing belt on aside from a couple volvos. Being single sprocket on the belt side makes it even easier. I wouldn't be afraid to tackle it yourself if you have some general mechanical knowledge and a service manual. Just double/triple check your marks

Is that $250 with the water pump too? If so that's a smokin deal and I would probably just do that's if the shop is reputable.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:40 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I paid to have it done once, it was $650 and they used a cheap belt that snapped and bent valves. $250 sounds too good to be true. They should be replacing the idler pulley and water pump. I replace the tensioner also when I'm in there. In parts alone I'm close to $250 doing it myself.

It isn't that tough to do. I suggest you have a strong impact wrench and some torque limiting extensions for removing and tightening the crank pulley.