Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Soo...... Turns out I'm in the market for a cat-back

Old 02-12-2014, 03:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win
Default Soo...... Turns out I'm in the market for a cat-back

I was driving into work tonight and as I pulled into the parking lot I herd a loud thud, some scraping and my exhaust got a LOT louder. I guess there is such a thing as "too low" and/or "too stiff."

So I'm in the market for a cheap cat-back and I need it, like, yesterday. Sadly it looks like aftermarket support for RDs has fallen apart, I can't find anything decent for cheap. Since this will be an interim thing, just a few months while the new motor is getting finished, are there any remotely tolerable cat-backs that can be had for under $300? OR, how bad are the ebay knock off units?

Any other input?

I'm still running the stock beta1 with a busted auto (wont escape 3rd gear) and an oil leak, so I'm not expecting gains of any kind, I just don't want to do damage or sound like a bee farting into a Folgers can. Also once the motor is done I'm going to have a custom 3" full length built, so cheap is the operative item.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:03 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Just go to a muffler shop and get a 2.25" pipe thrown on there. I broke a hanger off my exhaust and it made an unbelievably loud, horrible sound when driving. Getting that quarter size hole patched up would be a cheap easy fix. Have you surveyed the damage, yet?
Old 02-12-2014, 08:14 AM

Oh yeah, it totally snapped off at the back of the resonator. I can imagine that welding that back on will not be cheap.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:10 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

+1 on exhaust shop

It's probably cheaper to get em to weld it back together, it'd take like two seconds anyway

Also I still can't figure out what the hell your signature is dude
Old 02-14-2014, 03:42 PM

Called a few shops and as I figured no one willing to touch it without pounding a few extra bucks out of the job.

Like they want to replace the cat (which is still good) and the muffler.

Man I wish I knew how to weld.... and had the tools.

Would there be any detriment to running off just the resonator until the cat-back comes in?

Aside from the obvious noise issue
Old 02-15-2014, 04:33 AM

So funny story, the Tib no longer scrapes going over the monstrous speed bumps here at work. Yeah, I'm pretty sure the wound was self inflicted at this point. I am pondering just running off the resonator only until emissions time in a few months. SO my question remains, is that for what ever reason a bad idea? I can't imagine it's too detrimental to the car, but I can sometimes over simplify an issue in my mind to justify it.

Originally Posted by wheel_of_steel
Also I still can't figure out what the hell your signature is dude
Have you tried clicking on it?

It's not a trap, I promise that you'll be mildly amused and possibly intrigued.

Spoiler

Old 02-15-2014, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

If you don't mind the increased emissions, running without a catalytic converter won't hurt anything. Unless you get a ticket for loud exhaust. If it's the first converter in the pipe, you'll have a CEL but it won't affect running condition. If it's the second converter, refer to the first sentence of this post.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:30 PM

Shame on me, but I already have a CEL because I damaged the O2 Downstream sensor. I was enjoying one of our ice mountain roads and managed to find a large rock in the middle of the lane. It bounced around under the car for a bit dinging up the exhaust, after that CEL and a busted sensor. I'm running stock exhaust so there's still the primary cat though, so once I get the sensor replace that wont be an issue.

So my take away is until the new exhaust comes in don't worry, just don't gun it around cops.