Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

rear brakes freezing?

Old 02-05-2014, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2005 Hyundai Tiburon GT
Default rear brakes freezing?

So I think my rear brakes are freezing. When its really cold out the brakes are holding. When I get in the car the hand brake is loose about half way up after being parked with it on for a while. It happened last time it froze outside but right now there is no ice but its really cold. Last time it happened my hand brake was loose I drove for a while and it began to tighten up. When I drive I can feels the brakes holding and the car slows down faster when I'm off the gas.

I just drove it and it was doing this. I smelt something burning and stopped at the store to check the brakes. They were hot not sure if they were smoking or if it was steaming I guess from the cold but I could smell them. I just did new brake pad now the brakes are dark and look rough around the edges. The last time this happened was on the old pad that need to be changed. The hand brake was still loose when I got to my destination.

If any one could shed some light on Wtf is going on. I think my new pad are waisted. If there is something I can do to prevent it or stop it when it happens would be nice to know. Anything will help. Thanks.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Just the rears, or the fronts too? Growing up in Boston, we were always taught not to set the parking brake in winter. If you park on a hill, use a wheel chock. If it's not just the rears, your fluid probably has too much water in it. Flush the brakes.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:36 AM

Vehicle: 2005 Hyundai Tiburon GT

Ya just the rear. Being from Texas I don't do winter lol. But after re-wording my search I got better answers on the Google. I have been leaving it in gear no brake. Just drove it, Handbrake tightened up a little and I can't smell burning.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Water inside the cable housing freezes and then the cable won't slacken when you release the brake.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:34 PM

Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS

sounds like everything needs a good cleaning and some lube.

LOL @ the guy from Texas saying
but its really cold
You need to come visit Canada if you want to know what "really cold" is. We have windchill and frost bite warnings where I live. Exposed skin will freeze in less than 5 minutes.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

i8acobra beat me to it
Old 02-06-2014, 10:37 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

Originally Posted by i8acobra
Water inside the cable housing freezes and then the cable won't slacken when you release the brake.

This. It's a common issues with our cars.