Hyundai Santa Fe Forum The Hyundai Santa Fe Forum. Hyundai's Sport Utility Vehicle discussions here such as the Santa Fe, Tuscon, and Veracruz! Learn what makes these great cross overs and SUV's one of the favorites amongst Hyundai owners.

need opinions about grille guards

Old 01-15-2014, 03:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 07 Santa Fe
Default need opinions about grille guards

Been wanting to add the Aries grille guard since I saw a better deal at http://4wheelonline.com, though I’m wondering if anyone had any issues about the added weight on the front end? Or what grille guard do you have? I saw the Steelcraft and it looks similar to Aries. Any big difference between the two? Any opinions? Thanks guys.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:04 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Specific link to the items? Anyway grille guards are generally useless for preventing damage to your car. They're okay for mounting driving lights if you want to prevent holes being drilled in your bumper bar, but that's about it.

The best bet is a smart bar. You still protect your car but they don't interfere with the airbag deployment, and they pop back into shape after low speed impacts.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Well, they're good for preventing major brush damage.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

4real. A bunch of little weeds will rip a bumper cover and grille right off, but a metal brush guard will just need a cleaning instead of a replacement. If a grille guard adds less than a hundred pounds, don't worry about added weight. Maybe even 200 but that's getting pretty heavy for something to install by yourself.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:15 PM

Are you guys talking about a roo bar?

Or one of those faggy little things they put on soft roaders?

Either way, get a smart bar. It will do everything a metal roo bar would, except it won't f*ck up your airbag deployment, and it will pop back into shape if you have a minor ding.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:55 PM

Vehicle: 07 Santa Fe

I'm referring to this - http://www.ariesautomotive.com/appli...hotos/7010.jpg. I know grille guards will not give the ultimate protection compared to smart bars and steel bumpers but I like the look of grille guards. I searched on other forums and looks like the other guys had no issues regarding the added weight. I also want to add some aux lights on it. Thanks for the response guys!
Old 01-16-2014, 12:12 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Elantra GLS Sportswagon

Over here we wouldn't be able to fit them unless the crush rate and air bag triggering is not altered and is manufacturer certified or meets ADR specifications.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:33 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I'm talking about this:

Well, probably minus the solid steel front bumper. Or not because a solid steel front bumper is badass.

It has kept us from doing major damage to the front end of the Jeep during serious offroading.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:29 AM

Yeah nah, the aries thing is probably okay for mounting driving lights, but it won't protect much. Seriously, light gage aluminium tube that is bolted all the way under the front bar will deform in a heartbeat. Do what floyd has, or even just bang up your own little bar for lights.

We have an old ford falcon with a steel bullbar and front bumper that we use to dig up stumps when we are clearing land in the country. Dig half of it out, set approach speed at 25kmh... you have yourself another stump for the fire!

Try doing that with a grille guard. I wouldn't even feel confident that such a thing would survive a healthy sparta kick.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:09 PM

Vehicle: 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe

I installed an ARIES Bull Bar on 07 Santa Fe and plan to put lights on it.So far I like it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ARIES Bar.jpg (910.9 KB, 2 views)