Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Did people try to convince you not to buy your Tib?

Old 11-19-2013, 07:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Veilside Tibby
Default Did people try to convince you not to buy your Tib?

When you first saw your Tib and decided to buy it, did you talk to anyone first about it? And if so, how many people said "Dont buy it. Hyundai is junk."

I love my car and never had any problems with it like people have said I would. I guess maybe they had the old way of thinking because older Hyundai's were in fact throw away cars and junky.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:37 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I buy what I want. Most people liked my Tiburon and Genesises, but I wouldn't have cared if they had given their dissent before buying.

When I bought my 2000 Tiburon I was only 17. I wanted it because it was different, it wasn't like every other civic or mustang on the road. Now, I do my own research and know much more about cars. I test drive and find what I like, what fits my needs/wants and buy it. I get opinions from others but mostly only those with experience in the vehicles I'm considering. I totaled my Genesis, test drove over a dozen cars and came back to the Genesis. It's what I wanted in 2010, and when given the opportunity to buy something else I stuck with it.

However... had the Tundra made 22mpg instead of 12mpg I may have pulled the trigger on that. 65 miles roundtrip for work is too far for a daily at 12mpg
Old 11-19-2013, 07:39 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

What's funny is people tried to tell me that the 2nd gen Tib was better quality than the 1st. Ummm...it's the same exact car, other than front & rear body styling. I'm on my 3rd Hyundai now and I'm perfectly fine with it.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:31 AM

Vehicle: 2012 mitsubishi eclipse spyder gs, 2001 hyundai tiburon

One person did...

My ex.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:55 PM

Vehicle: '03 Tib GT

Yes, Multiple people I worked with tries to dissuade me. They looked at reviews on any website that had them and were like "don't buy that TIburon it's tranny is junk" and I said "yeah if you treat it like crap"
Old 11-19-2013, 06:59 PM

Vehicle: 1997 RD 4-door

myself told me not to get the RD, i test drove both the rd tib and elantra and both NVH was rough, the price,new clutch and the beta engine did me in though.

the GK tib is much improved in NVH and interior quality but it's power to weight ratio's are different compared to the RD's due to difference in structural weight..especially a Beta GK.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:27 AM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

I bought my RD without much of a 2nd thought. I had the 07 MC before that and it was a phenomenal car for the price, 10K brand new. After it was wrecked I looked at the GK seV6 and loved it, but at the time had go with something I could buy dam near on the spot so I opted for the RD2 I have now. Didn't consult much of anyone before I bought it, but my friends gave me lots of sh*t for buying another Hyundai. After the first transmission cratered I got lots of "I told you so!" as well. But negative fucks given! I love the body style and have since the first time I saw it. It's a gorgeous car!! Performance can be made, but that styling is just perfect. For a long time I got some "the Integra (and/or Celica) rip off?" But imho it looks totally different and better than those two despite the separated lights. I love it! I think it's been a fantastic car despite it's small issues, and today it's become a head turner. With so few on the road, and since lot of people have forgotten the Hyundai reputation, I get a lot of compliments. When people ask the year, they're astonished to learn its a 2001.

So to the haters:
Old 11-21-2013, 04:28 PM

Vehicle: 1999 tiburon fx

Everyone I know said they loved the styling but told me it wouldnt last and it would be plagued with problems. Almost 15 years later, 107K, original engine & tranny, and NO problems other than basic maintenance stuff.
Old 10-04-2014, 02:44 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I bought my 01 Tiburon cause I saw one tied down to a flatbed tow truck and it looked really good lowered. So I bought it and my gear head cousin stopped talking to me for a bit cause he thought I was stupid for buying this ugly car. Fast forward to now and he is buying a 2001 Tiburon off me that I picked up for hella cheap cause the owner couldn't fix the shift linkage and had no first gear. lol.

I have 228,000 on my stock engine and tranny and I seriously tried to blow the engine before the 100,000 mile warranty ended but it kept running. Now I want to pickup a spare one since mine got rear ended and salvaged then bought back and I am still driving as it was after the accident.

This car is seriously impressive with all the abuse it has taken and will still take. Plus parts are cheap and they are easy to work on.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:53 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Many people tried to keep me from buying my first Tib, including the salesman brand new in 01. Then the car was stolen in 04 and I picked up my current RD2 in 2012. I paid a whopping $200 for her with rad, brakes, bearings, tires and suspension busted. Every thing else was Immaculate except the mileage... 182k. I wasn't concerned because my shop did all the up keep on her since 07. My customer showed up asking for a quote to repair said items but did not like the price so she sold it too me for junk yard price. I tried to offer more but she was toooooooo nice and only would except $200. What a deal!!