Hyundai Accent Forum The Hyundai Accent Forum. Hyundai's little champ. While the Hyundai Accent and Hyundai Excel may be small, they respond very well to aftermarket modifications and is among the favorites for Hyundai tuners.

DIY maintenance for apartment dwellers

Old 11-12-2013, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 02 Accent
Default DIY maintenance for apartment dwellers

I live in an apartment building and management doesn't look kindly upon DIY automotive work. But I might be able to do some tasks, especially those that don't require jacking the car up, or draining fluids. I just use my parents garage to do the big stuff since my dad is a mechanic.

What sorts of maintenance tasks are those who live in apartments able to do?
Old 11-12-2013, 05:15 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Accent GSI

My last 2 apartments had the same policy but the fact was that the management was never around, so I did oil changes in the parking lot and never heard a word about it. But that's totally your call.

Other than that you can top up low fluids (bring a funnel and rag), and take apart anything that doesn't cause a mess: light bulbs, interior pieces etc. I also swapped onto snow tires in the parking lot.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:12 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

My old complex had the same rules and I just ignored them. Never had much of a problem.

That was until I had a nosy neighbor that I already had a grudge with rat me out. :angry:
Old 11-13-2013, 03:18 AM

Vehicle: 2005 Hyundai Tiburon GT

At one place I lived at the office was on the other side of the street. Well I was fixing the front end of my j2 after an accident new radiator, air condenser, head lights, and pulling the rad support. Well maintance came by and told my neighbor who lived next door while I was inside he would tow the car thinking it was theirs and they were doing the work. I came out and told him I lived here and he ain't towing my car. He replied oh didn't kno you lived here but no major repairs can be done in the lot. I told him I was just changing a headlight and he left me alone. If the rule is in place managment can be a dick about I would just down play the work you're doing and hope you get away with it.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:19 AM

Vehicle: 2005 Hyundai Tiburon GT

Double post wtf
Old 11-13-2013, 09:52 AM

Vehicle: 2013 BMW 128i

When I lived in my apartment and still had my Supra it got worked on a few times. If you can, be nice to the management and the maintenance people. They will usually let you work on your car without being dicks if you talk to them about what you are doing, and don't leave anything in pieces overnight, etc.