Hyundai Sonata Forum The Hyundai Sonata Forum. The Sonata (around since 1989) and Hyundai XG300/XG350 (new for 2002) pickup the near-luxury segment for Hyundai. Find out where to get all the luxuries Korea is holding back on (HID, navigation systems, etc.) and how to tune your Hyundai Sonata, Azera, or XG for performance.

Does it matter where the port is and if subs share or have individual ports?

Old 07-25-2013, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Sonata
Default Does it matter where the port is and if subs share or have individual ports?

Ok folks, I am going to go with 2 12's in a ported box hopefully sooner rather than later ( not sure on subs just yet ) I am going to get a custom ported box made most likely around 4 ft^3 tuned around 32-35 hz. Now most port boxes I see with 2 subs have the port on the right side of the box. Will it make any difference if the port is in the middle of the box in between the subs and they share the chamber? Also what would be the difference in each sub having it's own chamber and port vs sharing a chamber and 1 port?
Old 07-25-2013, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

A properly tuned box can have the port almost any where and any shape. There is no difference between sharing and not sharing a port between drivers in a properly tuned box.

Note: it is super easy to slap a box together without tuning it in the design phase and you may just get what you pay for at a budget shop.