Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

AEM FIC wiring

Old 02-13-2013, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Coupe F2 Evo
Default AEM FIC wiring

Hi all

I'm finishing off wiring in my FIC on my '99 Coupe (Tiburon) on Friday and the crank sensor is the only thing I'm unsure about. According to the below diagram (our cars are MAP based) there are two ECU pins for the crank:

Is the sensor to be wired hall or mag style? I can't find a definitive answer anywhere, and all of the old links/pictures for the FIC wiring are broken! I don't see Hyundai using a different crank sensor setup between Europe and US.

Thanks for any input.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:26 AM

Vehicle: Hyundai Accent

It's a VR Sensor. Not all our cars are map based

http://tinypic.com/r/2cmqhih/6

If you get the VR sensor wired backwards u will stall and issue starting. Swap them around if u do. It shouldn't damage anything. Just get a missed signal
Old 02-13-2013, 10:40 AM

Vehicle: Hyundai Accent

If you look on my cranking thread. u find the full layout to that schematics u have...
Old 02-13-2013, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

not sure if this will help as you are overseas but here.

[media]http://turbosocks.com/RD/ECUplug.pdf[/media]
Old 02-16-2013, 04:49 PM

Thanks for the replies both.

I have connected everything up (except the FIC's MAP sensor) but the car will not start with the FIC connected. Starts OK using the bypass harness. It has started once or twice with the FIC connected, but the tach does not give an RPM readout - it remains at 0.

I've wired the crank sensor the same as Socks' diagram but using the pinout from the other diagram. Treating 33 as + and 34 as -. MAGi/o + are intercepted to 33, and MAGi/o - are intercepted to 34. Any suggestions?
Old 02-17-2013, 10:54 PM

Vehicle: F2 Evolution

Originally Posted by aaronyuri
Is the sensor to be wired hall or mag style? I can't find a definitive answer anywhere, and all of the old links/pictures for the FIC wiring are broken! I don't see Hyundai using a different crank sensor setup between Europe and US.

Mag style on F2 Evos, thats what caused me problems with the Gen1 block on a gen3, as that was hall effect.

And it's unlikely there'd be a different set-up between Uk and US sensor wiring, but I wouldn't put it past them.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:48 PM

I can confirm it's the mag style setup for sure. Pin 33 for + and pin 33 for - voltages.

I checked back on the wiring and found some pins were done wrong - corrected those and she now starts and runs! Albeit very poorly... There's a whopping misfire at 3k. But I still don't have the FIC's internal MAP connected (waiting on a long enough vac line) so I'm assuming it's screwing with the FIC's idea of 'load'. Bypass harness is in for now and running fine.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:13 PM

Thought I would report back to this and finalise it all. Sock's diagram helped me put the nail in the coffin with the crank sensor. For the first week, the car would randomly misfire; this was due to the 22-pin connector coming ever so loose of its own accord. I solved this by placing the bypass harness in an upright position and it has since (touch wood) been fine for 2 months without any problems.

The car is running perfect with the FIC connected and maps all zeroed out (injector pulse width also needs to be at 0, not 486). Only issue was a hunting idle (guessing the FIC still wants the MAP hooked up). I haven't run the vac line because I'm lazy - despite having it ready. The wideband is still sitting in the box too. Oh, the woes of procrastination.

Attached is the wiring I used for the FIC on a MAP based Beta 1 UK Tiburon/Coupe. Wire the crank sensor like Sock's diagram above; just use pins 33 and 34 instead of 16 and 43, respectively. Job done.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5xq...it?usp=sharing
Old 06-10-2015, 09:26 PM

Vehicle: 99/ Hyundai /accent

What confuses me is that what I've read is that a car either has mag style or hall style... And turbo socks'a diagram says for crank we're to use (mag) and for can we you (hall)
Old 06-11-2015, 07:59 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

There is a difference in Beta 1 vs. Beta 2. All US Spec Beta 1's use INDUCTIVE. ALL US Spec Beta 2's use HALL EFFECT.