Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

More rare 1.6L leather seats

Old 11-30-2012, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX
Default More rare 1.6L leather seats

While at the junkyard I found some really nice custom leather seats stitched to the OEM RD1 Tiburon pattern. They need some modification because they don't have headrest inserts (they're prob inside) and they need to be painted black (using leather paint). Unfortunately I didn't buy them and I don't take photographs but take my word they are very nice and in excellent condition.

(like this but sheep skin-toned leather)

They're probably $30/each, maybe $90.00 total. If anyone is interested, I can sell them for a profit.

I also found some rare two-tone seats on ebay. They're super expensive though! >$114 per seat!

Here's the link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HYUNDAI-COUPE-1996-2001-SEAT-DRIVER-FRONT-BLACK-GREY-LEATHER-LK-/400320176758?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM& fits=Car+Make%3AHyundai|Model%3ACoupe&hash=item5d3 4f12276

They would look marvelous restored to black. I love the look of these in the RD1. They look very exotic and high class. I really miss the "modern" designs of the mid-late 90's.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:05 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Didn't RD2s come with 2 tone leather seats?
Old 11-30-2012, 08:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 02 Hyundai Accent

I used Plastidip's Automotive Interior Repair on the tore up bench seat in my 94 Toyota truck and it came out looking a bit like those seats, gimmie 10 minutes or so and I will snap some pics. Even HKC would love plastidip once you see the results.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:45 PM

Yea there is definitely a resemblance, score one for Plastidip

Old 12-01-2012, 01:09 AM

Whaaat?! So you can fix leather using plasti-dip? Because there is a part of my driver's seat that flaked off from the first owner. Maybe match and rub in some leather dye on the plasti-dip?

My views of plasti-dip are beginning to crumble. I can't believe I'm considering, let alone speaking about plasti-dip. Noooooooo I will not give in!!!!
Old 12-01-2012, 04:57 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon 2.0 G4GF-EG

If it is real leather plastidip will seal it and the leather underneath will dry out and be more prone to ripping. If it is artificial leather you can use coatings.

Restoring those cracks/flaked parts is not really possible with real leather, but with the proper care (dying and moisturizer) you can at least affect the colouring and the texture (a bit). Ever asked at a motorcycle store where they also sell the leather protective clothing?

All Tiburon leather seats are of really bad material. It is just too thin. A friend of mine is a saddler and also does leather upholstery for carriages and said it is not really worth fixing. Ur probably better of replacing the affected parts (saw that most over here).

I could have bought a whole black leather interior for the RD2, but I'm not really fond of the seats regarding function and design.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:14 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Very interesting

It depends how much effort you want to put into a job, but it's possible to take the covers off your existing seats and get some leather trimmed to fit the same pattern. Unfortunately, most affordable cars use absolutely farm-tier leather for their seats.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:31 AM

I was totally joking about the plastidip but the seats are awesome and feel great. I got them from a 01 Tiburon. Driver side has some wear on it but I will be pulling a good upright cover from a seat with a bad bottom today.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:53 PM

Vehicle: 1999/hyundai/tiburon

Wasn't the 2 tone pattern different from Rd1 to Rd2? Plus, at one point didnt hyundai offer the rare all black leather seats as well? I cant remember.....
Old 12-01-2012, 04:14 PM

I was totally joking about the plastidip but the seats are awesome and feel great. I got them from a 01 Tiburon.

I knew it and I recognized those seats but you got me! Plasti-dip: 7,894,382,421 HKC: -1.

Wasn't the 2 tone pattern different from Rd1 to Rd2? Plus, at one point didnt hyundai offer the rare all black leather seats as well? I cant remember.....

Yes! My favorite and IMO gorgeous but only offered in Britain. They are on Ebay from time to time.

If it is real leather plastidip will seal it and the leather underneath will dry out and be more prone to ripping. If it is artificial leather you can use coatings.

Restoring those cracks/flaked parts is not really possible with real leather, but with the proper care (dying and moisturizer) you can at least affect the colouring and the texture (a bit). Ever asked at a motorcycle store where they also sell the leather protective clothing?

All Tiburon leather seats are of really bad material. It is just too thin. A friend of mine is a saddler and also does leather upholstery for carriages and said it is not really worth fixing. Ur probably better of replacing the affected parts (saw that most over here).

I could have bought a whole black leather interior for the RD2, but I'm not really fond of the seats regarding function and design.

Thanks a lot for your input! That helps abundantly and answers a lot of questions. The side of it flaked off and I never knew what to do about it. I'm not fond of the leather design but they're not bad (at least cooler than anything in its class), only not as nice as the ones above.