Hyundai Santa Fe Forum The Hyundai Santa Fe Forum. Hyundai's Sport Utility Vehicle discussions here such as the Santa Fe, Tuscon, and Veracruz! Learn what makes these great cross overs and SUV's one of the favorites amongst Hyundai owners.

Tranny cooler when towing

Old 06-12-2012, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2007 Santa Fe
Default Tranny cooler when towing

I just got a hitch put on my Santa Fe. I plan on towing a 28' boat this summer since I just got it. The dock where I'll be going is about a half hour away and theres alot of stop and go. Is it a good idea to have a tranny cooler installed for these types of things?
Old 06-12-2012, 11:39 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

I would recommend it. I don't know much about the Santa Fe trans in particular, but I do know that any truck that is towing something that heavy should have a cooler installed.

I sell engines and transmissions for a living and a replacement trans for that truck could cost you a few thousand dollars, before installation. Furthermore, they aren't available from aftermarket providers yet, so this would have to come from a dealer. A good tranny cooler can be installed for only a few hundred dollars, seems like cheap insurance to me.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:43 AM

Vehicle: 2006 hyundai tucson

Originally Posted by OTECTom
I would recommend it. I don't know much about the Santa Fe trans in particular, but I do know that any truck that is towing something that heavy should have a cooler installed.

I sell engines and transmissions for a living and a replacement trans for that truck could cost you a few thousand dollars, before installation. Furthermore, they aren't available from aftermarket providers yet, so this would have to come from a dealer. A good tranny cooler can be installed for only a few hundred dollars, seems like cheap insurance to me.

Hello,

Please excuse my ignorance but I recently inherited from my brother who passed away a 2006 Hyundai Tucson.

He had installed an aftermarket non-Hyundai transmission because the original had problems.

My question is would it damage the vehicle to have a non-Hyundai transmission in it? Should I have installed a Hyundai transmission?

Thank you for any information and assistance you can give me...

Jane
Old 09-03-2012, 03:47 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

No it should be fine. Chances are that the transmission is not aftermarket. It is more likely that it is a hyundi transmission that was rebuilt or re-manufactured by an aftermarket company, it would then be sold as an aftermarket re-manufactured transmission.