Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

How loud is your turbo spool?

Old 06-06-2012, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2011 Genesis Track
Default How loud is your turbo spool?

I know on the stock Genesis, you can hear the stock turbo spool up slightly, but I have heard other peoples turbos (aftermarket ones) that have a REAL loud spooling sound. What makes one louder over another? Is it size or efficiency or both? Does a smaller turbo give less spooling sound than a big one, or are there bigger ones that are pretty silent too?
Old 06-06-2012, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

bigger typically has more sound as its going to be flowing more.. if you take your intake off of the stock turbo it will be a lot louder also (don't try this)

the stock intake on any turbo car will silence it significantly.

if you just put a filter over the turbo it will be loudest (while being safe) but if you have long CAI piping with filter + filter sock it wont be as loud..
Old 06-06-2012, 10:42 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Needs more screamer pipe brah
Old 06-06-2012, 10:52 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

lol i removed the silencer surge plate off my turbo TO MAKE IT MORE OF TEH LOUDS
Old 06-16-2012, 08:18 AM

Vehicle: honda civic 2004

He probably just wants to hear his turbo,with i guess he can do by silencing the exhaust, getting a bigger turbo, getting a better intake system, or find a way to manually force air into your turbo. electric blow dryer? or you can try a turbo inlet pipe.But as our friend said, this is not the best thing, because it really slows you down with more of a spool time on your turbo.also you can check for any leaks in your waste gate or blow off valve. this would tend to give you a longer spool time but not a louder sound.

Aftermarket Car Parts
Old 06-16-2012, 06:48 PM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

Something like this!!! LMFAO!!! Then your car will sound like a f*cking DYSON!!!!!

Also Screamer pipe (Open dump tube) Doesnt promote to spool sound, that exhaust never even see's the turbo, LMFAO!!! All it does is make you DEAF... Also I am Screamer Piped!!!
Old 06-20-2012, 08:15 AM

Vehicle: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon i4

I've had people say my car sounds like a jet engine as its spooling up and others that complain about my screamer pipe.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

The number of vanes, then hotside size, play the biggest factor. In the Superduty world, the late 03 turbos had only 7 (or was it 9) vanes on the hotside. They absolutely screamed with open 4" exhaust. Ford got complaints, so in 04 they went to 11 vanes or some sh*t. Still got complaints, so they went with 13 vanes in 05. That did the trick. So now every tuner wants to swap in the 03 turbo to get the "Screamer".

I had an 03 SD. It was definitely loud and the high pitched scream started to get annoying.

(insert black dude woo woo pic here)

"woo wooooo!!!"