Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Does a car get totaled automatically if airbags deploy?

Old 05-21-2012, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 02 Accent
Default Does a car get totaled automatically if airbags deploy?

If you're in an accident, but only do minor damage to the front of your car, but the air bags deploy...is the car considered totaled regardless?

This didnt happen to my car. I was j/w
Old 05-21-2012, 11:20 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

I don't think so, because airbags are designed to be replaced. However, that's probably down to the insurance assessor.

In Australia at least, It's deemed a regular or repairable write off if the shop repairs are worth more than the car, and a statuary write off if the structure has been compromised.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:51 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Hyundai Genesis 2.0T

its totaled if the insurance company can save money by just paying you what the car is worth instead of fixing
Old 05-21-2012, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

For an 02 accent I'm guessing the answer will be "yes" because the value of the car will be < the cost to replace both bags and fix the front end of the car after you rearend somebody.

Then you buy it back from the ins. co. for a few hundred bucks, don't replace the airbags, replace the bumper and keep driving it. That's what one of the guys at my old job did, anyway.