DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

Getting rid of weather seal squeaks

Old 01-09-2012, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track
Default Getting rid of weather seal squeaks

Hi all. I thought I would make my first post a constructive one so here it is. It addresses the infamous sunroof squeak with the gencoupe, but can be used on all weather seals and similar issues. You guys and girls probably know if such exist in some of the other models.

Anyways, here it is:

So I finally fixed my squeaking sunroof which was driving me insane. I tried dry silicones w. and w/o teflon, interior shine oils as someone recommended on here, but it kept coming back after 2-4 weeks. After 6 months of no squeak I am confident enough to endorse this product to the rest of you.

I found this grease after much web perusing that finally fixed the issue (going on 6 month now). It is very high end grease and used by NASA and nascar and the automotive industry when they have squeaks or friction problems they can't solve. The grease is amazing as it can be used on EVERYTHING as it does not react with anything or contain corrosive agents, silicone or other nasty things. You can´t heat off the solvent and the grease doesn't oxidize.

So what is this wonder grease you ask?

DuPont Krytox perfluorinated grease (basically 100% pure teflon). Some of you may have had bad experiences with teflon greases and sprays and rightfully so. Teflon is so expensive that manufacturers normally only add 0.1% or however little they can get away with and still keep the "with Teflon" label.

The Krytox however is 100% pure teflon and contains nothing else. It is the equivalent of buying pure carnauba wax for your car instead of just "contains carnauba wax". The price increase is also noticeable however.

Anyways... I am not liable for anything and do this at your own risk, but my experiences (and the car manufacturers, NASA and nascar) should give a good indication that nothing bad will happen .

On to the guide:

1. Get you Krytox ready and have a clean car and weather seals.

2. Retract you sun roof to expose the front weather seal and rub in a thin! layer along the rubber gasket (mine is already done so see below for application notes). I went all in and did the upper part of the seal to, but I would recommend only doing the part that touches, as the grease will give a slight haze on the clear coat after heavy rain.

3. Take the sun roof back to original position and tilt it up at the back. Apply grease to seal. At the right arrow, the rubber will never be exposed so take the sun roof back down and backward and add a little grease to the painted frame.

You now have 2 options. Leave it as is or drive with it for 1-2 weeks and wipe the excess off.

4. If you overdid it you might get a haze on ~1 inch of either side of the seal after several weeks of bad weather. This is excess grease being knocked away from the seal by rain.

5. A single swipe with a clean cloth removes it and the paint looks exactly like normal.

6. As an example of how to apply it, I did my doors and my trunk weather seals too, to avoid them sticking in the frost. It is also really good for screws that should never grow stuck, the rod of the hood hydraulic dampener, seat and sun roof rails, squeaky door handles, needle bearings and many other places.

7. Use the equivalent of ~3 grains of rice in volume per ~10 inches. Distribute it sparingly as it sticks really well and is a pain to redistribute by rubbing.

NB! use a glove as a general precaution!

8. Rub it in thoroughly. It is a pain and will give your sore finger tips, but doing it right once will saturate the silicone and work really well. Left arrow indicates well rubbed in, right arrow not so much

9. Do the rest of the seal (NB. the upper part will leave a residues on the window if not wiped off. It doesn't hurt anything and comes of the window easily with a cloth).

10. After having applied to the whole seal, drive around with it for ~2 weeks in a hot environment with normal dust levels. Summer weather will make the silicone soak up the grease better. Alternatively, wipe off excess and redo if necessary later on.

For this DIY I wiped it off right away. Use a lint free cloth! Important!

You don't need to rub it excessively. Just wipe once or twice to remove the white'ish hue. You should be left with a saturated black seal that is noticeably slippery when touched, compared to the coarse, normal weather seal.

11. You're done! . It took me maybe 20 minutes for 1 door including taking pictures. I spent ~0.8ml of Krytox so around 10 ml should do the sun roof, both seals on both doors, the trunk and still have around half left for other squeaks, rails, hinges etc.

As a service to the community, I have some 0.7 oz (~10ml) samples that I will sell for $17 shipped to lower 48. I got a fair price for a larger amount and bought it (AFAIK Krytox is off the market for consumers so I picked some up for later use also).

This shouldn't be misunderstood as me endorsing it because I can make a buck or two, as it is not a goldmine. This stuff is really expensive as it works really well.

If you want to search for it yourself, search for Dupont krytox GPL on amazon or ebay. Loctite has a similar product "made by dupont", but it does not have the same classifications as the original krytox so I would stay away from that one (it is not oxygen safe for instance meaning something in it react with air and decomposes or changes, it might be benign, but it might mean that the solvent is different and can attack your clearcoat etc. I have not tried the loctite due to the spec sheets not being the same, do so at your own risk!).

Here are the grease specs for those interested:

Key product benefits of Krytox® greases include:

- White, pure, nontoxic, non-reactive, non-flammable, long-lasting, fluorinated synthetic greases

- Safe for chemical and oxygen service; provides radiation resistance

- Maintaining lubrication in extreme heat (-103F to +750F), under heavy load and in harsh chemicals

- Non-reactive to harsh chemicals, acids, steam or moisture

- Non-reactive to all typical elastomers, plastics, most metals and process chemicals

- Available with anti-rust protection

- NSF H1-certified for incidental food contact grease grades are available

- Operate in high temperature and under extreme pressure

- Water-resistant oils for food machinery applications also available

- Long-lasting lubrication for “filled-for-life” applications
Old 01-09-2012, 06:17 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

send it to me in PM or e-mail

majikTib@gmail.com

if there's a thread to copy it from, you can link me to that.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:40 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track

Done.. you have mail . If I copy pasted it, it kept telling me that I should put something in before I could post?