External Appearance Modifications to the exterior of your car. Body Kits, Head lights/bulbs, tail lights/bulbs, spoilers, antennas, sidemarkers, etc.

State by State License Plate Requirements

Old 12-14-2011, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon
Default State by State License Plate Requirements

Thought this might be helpful for people who have questions about front plates

State by State Listing of License Plate Requirements:

Alabama

If you live in Alabama, the “Heart of Dixie”, your state laws only require you to display one license plate on the rear of a passenger vehicle.

Alaska

Alaska license plate laws require motor vehicles to display two license plates.

Arizona

Only rear license plates are required for passenger vehicles in this Southwest state.

Arkansas

The A's have it - Arkansas state law only requires passenger vehicles to display one official license plate, leaving the front free for a customized license plate.

California

Currently, California law requires that all passenger vehicles have a front and rear license plate, but citizens are banding together in order to have the front license plate requirement revoked.

Colorado

Like in California, there have been efforts in Colorado to repeal the law requiring a front plate. However, Colorado law still stipulates that all passenger vehicles display two plates.

Connecticut

For passenger vehicles, Connecticut requires two license plates, one in front and one in the rear.

Delaware

Lucky Delaware drivers are only required to post one license plate in the rear of their vehicle, leaving the front free for a customized novelty plate!

Florida

Florida license plate laws require that the license plate be conspicuously displayed only on the rear of the car.

Georgia

Georgia is another state which only requires one license plate, which must be prominently displayed on the back of a car.

Hawaii

Hawaii license plate laws require two license plates on passenger vehicles – one on the front of the car and another to the rear.

Idaho

Passenger cars in Idaho require two license plates, while motorcycles, tractors, and trailers only need to display one on the rear of the vehicle.

Illinois

Illinois license plate laws require that vehicles display one license plate on the front, and one on the rear.

Indiana

While Indiana license plate laws stipulate exactly where a license plate goes (on the front for motorcycles, trailers, and semi-trailers; the rear for all other automobiles) state laws only require one plate for residents in the Hoosier state.

Iowa

License plate laws in Iowa state that all vehicles must display two license plates, one in front and one in the rear.

Kansas

All vehicles that are registered in Kansas are issued at least one license plate, and Kansas state law requires only one license plate to be displayed at the rear of the vehicle.

Kentucky

Kentucky law only requires a rear plate to be displayed on passenger vehicles.

Louisiana

Drivers in Louisiana are only required to display one plate – on the rear of the vehicle – for a passenger car.

Maine

All vehicles in Maine must display two licenses, one in front and one at the rear of the vehicle.

Maryland

Maryland drivers must conspicuously display one plate in the front and one in the rear of a passenger vehicle.

Massachusetts

Massachusetts was one of the first states to require license plates on vehicles. While many states no longer require the use of a front license plate, Massachusetts recently changed their state laws to require drivers use two plates, one in front and one in the rear.

Michigan

Michigan drivers are only required to display one plate at the rear of their vehicle by Michigan State Law.

Minnesota

Vehicles in Minnesota are required by state law to display two license plates, one in the front of the vehicle and one in the rear.

Missouri

Missouri license plate laws stipulate that all passenger vehicles are issued two plates, to be displayed conspicuously in the front and rear of vehicle.

Mississippi

Mississippi is another state that does not require the use of a front plate. A single rear license plate is all that is stipulated by state law.

Montana

While the big sky state once set their daytime speed limits to "reasonable and prudent," their license plate laws are a little more stringent, requiring drivers to display both a rear and front plate. Decals , magnetic car signs , and vehicle lettering are all still permitted.

Nebraska

Passenger vehicles in Nebraska are required to display both a front and rear license plate.

Nevada

Nebraska license plate laws require motor vehicles to conspicuously display two plates, one in the front of a vehicle and one in the rear.

New Hampshire

New Hampshire license plate laws require that license plates be displayed at all times. Vehicles are required to display two plates, one in the front of the vehicle and one in the rear.

New Jersey

The Garden State, issues two license plates to all registered automobiles, and New Jersey license plate law stipulates that both must be displayed on a vehicle – one in front and one in the rear.

New Mexico

New Mexicans are only required to display one rear license plate by state law.

New York

New Yorkers are required by New York license plate laws to display two license plate on their passenger vehicles, one on the front and one on the rear.

North Carolina

North Carolina license plate laws only necessitate the use of one license plate, displayed so it can be seen from the rear of the vehicle.

Ohio

License plate laws in Ohio require the use of two license plates for passenger vehicles, displayed so they can be clearly seen from the front and the rear of the vehicle.

Oklahoma

Oklahoma only requires one license plate to displayed on the rear of all registered passenger vehicles, so residents of the "Sooner State" can display a custom plate demonstrating their individuality.

Oregon

The Beaver State requires that all drivers conspicuously display two license plates, mounted in the front and rear of a passenger vehicle.

Pennsylvania

Pennsylvania license plate laws only require that one license plate be displayed on the rear of the vehicle, leaving those in the Keystone State free to display a customized novelty plate on the front of their vehicle.

Rhode Island

Rhode Island license plate laws currently require two plates, but many residents refuse to comply with the front plate requirements. However, passenger cars lacking a front plate will still be cited for violating license plate laws.

South Carolina

If you live and drive in South Carolina, you are only required to display one plate on the rear of your vehicle.

South Dakota

In South Dakota, drivers of passenger vehicles are required to place plates on both the front and rear of their cars.

Tennessee

Tennessee law only stipulate the use of a rear license plate, so if you live in Tennessee, feel free to make a statement of your individuality, right on your vehicle!

Texas

Texas license plate laws require the use of two license plates, one on the front of the vehicle and one to the rear. However, Texans are notorious for their state pride, which can be expressed through window or vehicle decals, car magnets, or even vehicle lettering.

Utah

Utah license plate laws require each and every passenger have vehicle two license plates, one in the front of the vehicle and one in the rear.

Vermont

Vermont requires passenger cars to display two license plates on their vehicles, securely fastened to the front and rear of the vehicle. Decals , magnetic car signs , and vehicle lettering are all still legal in this state for lovers.

Virginia

Residents in the Old Dominion are required by state law to clearly display two license plates, one to the front and one to the rear of each car.

Washington

Washington state license plate laws require all registered passenger vehicles to have two license plates, one for the front and one for the rear.

Washington

State of Washington requires all registered passenger vehicles to have front and rear license plates.

Washington DC

In order to operate or park a vehicle on any public street, drivers must display two license plates horizontally on the front and rear of every vehicle. Tags must be visible and not obstructed in any way, but a customized license plate holder does not violate any regulations.

West Virginia

West Virginia license plate laws only require that a rear plate be displayed.

Wisconsin

Wisconsin state laws require the use of two license plates, one in the front of the vehicle and one in the rear.

Wyoming

Wyoming license plate laws require that all registered vehicles being driven on public roadways secure two license plates, one on the front, and one on the back of the vehicle.

US Territories, Including: Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands and Guam

U.S. territories Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands and Guam do not require an official front license plate.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:33 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Thanks!
Old 12-14-2011, 10:32 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Hmmm.... What if ur driving in another state that requires 2, but live in a state that requires just one? I live in ky but drive alot in oh
Old 12-15-2011, 07:33 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

^ The law follows what ever state your car is registered in.

I'm pinning this topic for future reference. Great thread!
Old 01-10-2012, 10:53 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

awesome thread. my car is registered in TN but I stay in Missouri. cops here always pull me over for no front plate only to see a TN plate lol
Old 01-10-2012, 11:01 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Clarification to Tennessee law. The license plate must be attached to the rear bumper or other OEM factory location in a horizontal position.

In the 90s, minitrucks would have a tailgate or rear window with a mount for the license plate cocked. This was against 2 or 3 different laws.

I looked into it because I got pulled over and given a warning because my license plate was held on with zip ties. I was in the process of installing my body kit and didn't even have the front bumper on, just sides and rear. The cop just wanted an excuse to pull me over and figure out WTH it was (2k Tib). He said he could write me for improper maintenance of a vehicle.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:29 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Tiburón GT

i lived in Indiana for almost 7 years and i have never seen a motorcycle with the license plate in the front.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

NV only requires two plates if the vehicle has a provision for mounting a front plate. Many people tell the dealer not to install they're front plate bracket so they won't have to run a front plate.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:40 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8T

Also, for North Carolina, your license plate frame cannot obscure any wording or stickers.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:30 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Originally Posted by Hyunibee
Also, for North Carolina, your license plate frame cannot obscure any wording or stickers.

Same in New Jersey, I've been ticketed for it too....