Hyundai Aftermarket.org: Help, Brights Dont Work - Hyundai Aftermarket.org

Toggle shoutbox Hyundai Aftermarket Shoutbox

blue_streak666  : (18 April 2018 - 04:42 PM) Posted a new topic -- Is this style coming back with trucks? in Automotive News & Other Vehicle Discussions
toreto  : (18 April 2018 - 04:33 PM) Posted a new topic -- Does anyone have a standing desk at work? in Off Topic Cafe
kromez  : (16 April 2018 - 04:55 PM) Posted a new topic -- R. Lee Ermey dead in Off Topic Cafe
conscience  : (16 April 2018 - 04:53 PM) Posted a new topic -- Crypto is dead in Computers, Gaming, & Technology
amrouchi  : (14 April 2018 - 12:01 PM) Posted a new topic -- which kind of engine oil in Hyundai Accent Forum
TerryTheR  : (14 April 2018 - 07:41 AM) Posted a new topic -- Genesis Frontal area i in Off Topic Cafe
azngoose  : (12 April 2018 - 09:20 PM) Posted a new topic -- Questions About Rare Parts in Hyundai Tiburon Forum
Boston Red V...  : (12 April 2018 - 12:45 PM) Posted a new topic -- Worst car show on TV now? in Photography, TV, Music, Art, & Culture
quickfx  : (12 April 2018 - 12:38 PM) Posted a new topic -- Leather seat covers in Interior, Sound, Security
Bishop  : (12 April 2018 - 12:35 PM) Posted a new topic -- We're getting closer in Off Topic Cafe
Stormtrooper  : (12 April 2018 - 12:29 PM) Posted a new topic -- Virtual tour of the moon in Computers, Gaming, & Technology
twinturbo3.8...  : (10 April 2018 - 05:18 PM) Posted a new topic -- Glossifier or matte? in Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension
morris67  : (10 April 2018 - 05:15 PM) Posted a new topic -- Roofies in Health, Body, & Wellness
SonataR  : (10 April 2018 - 05:14 PM) Posted a new topic -- What to expect when you buy a hot tub? in Off Topic Cafe
grind  : (10 April 2018 - 05:07 PM) Posted a new topic -- Lethal Boobs in Off Topic Cafe
Visionz  : (09 April 2018 - 05:14 PM) Posted a new topic -- Chick Filet Opens Here This Week in Chef's Corner (Hells Kitchen)
redV6genesis  : (09 April 2018 - 05:08 PM) Posted a new topic -- 7 year old headlights starts to haze in External Appearance
Sharkrider  : (09 April 2018 - 04:58 PM) Posted a new topic -- How long before McGregor goes to the WWE in Photography, TV, Music, Art, & Culture
Super G-Coupe  : (09 April 2018 - 04:54 PM) Posted a new topic -- These would be banned in todays society in Off Topic Cafe
no_name  : (09 April 2018 - 09:28 AM) Posted a new topic -- 2007 Accent wont start sometimes, not the battery in HELP Forum
Resize Shouts Area

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Help, Brights Dont Work

#1 User is offline   Ericy321 

• SUPREME POST WHORE!!!
  • Group: Members
  • Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon
  • Current Mood: Current Mood: None Chosen

Posted 10 December 2009 - 11:41 AM

So the brights havent worked on my black rd2 since I got it and I need to sell the car asap so I need to fix them. Heres what happens:

When I turn the brights on with the multifunction switch, the lows stay on and the indicator for brights lights up on the dash.
When I have no lights on and use the bright flash on the switch, the lows come on.

Heres what Ive done:
Tried another switch - no change
Put power directly to brights - bulbs work
Swapped relay - no change

Im thinking I pay possibly have a ground issue but I can not find where to look at all. I know the relay is clicking with the switch. Any help is very appreciated. Thanks guys.

#2 User is offline   stealth 

• Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon

Posted 10 December 2009 - 12:29 PM

It sounds like the wires for your high beams might have gotten crossed with the wires for your lows. When you go to switch to highs, the light comes on because it thinks you're getting power to the highs, when really all that power is going through the cross to the lows.

Basically like your high beams aren't even in the circuit.

This post has been edited by yellowlightning: 10 December 2009 - 12:29 PM

#3 User is offline   radu_rd2 

• Post Whore In Training
  • Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

Posted 10 December 2009 - 12:55 PM

I'll try to remember to check the schematics when I get home, to see if there can be a simple explanation for this.. It sounds pretty weird though

#4 User is offline   Bullfrog 

• TibStig
  • Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

Posted 10 December 2009 - 01:03 PM

This isnt anything like the rear light being out causing issues type wiring is it?( I cant remember what issue it caused, im thinking cruise control) I would have to agree that the high beams are out of the loop.

#5 User is offline   Ericy321 

• SUPREME POST WHORE!!!

Posted 10 December 2009 - 01:27 PM

All other lights work fine. I agree that is seems like they got crossed somehow Im just not sure how that is possible or where to look.

#6 User is offline   radu_rd2 

• Post Whore In Training

Posted 11 December 2009 - 12:25 AM

The schematic for the lights is below.

Since the indicator comes on, it means that the relay is getting turned on. There must be something wrong with the wiring to the highs. Both highs use a common ground, so maybe that ground is screwed up? Try tracing the wires, the ground should be somewhere close.

I doubt the highs and lows are "crossed", I think that when you flash, both the lows and the highs are supposed to light up (I have another schematic which draws the flash/low/high "switch" better).

#7 User is offline   Ericy321 

• SUPREME POST WHORE!!!

Posted 15 December 2009 - 07:03 PM

Ya they act crossed but I think that would be near impossible. Im going to try to find that ground but when I was testing I noticed that there was ground at the bulb where the little metal holder goes so I have a feeling its not getting power. Also I think I looked at work and something else shared that same ground and that was working fine. Im looking up location of that ground now and Ill check tomorrow.

The wierd part to me is that the lows do not go off when I flip to high. I feel like Im missing something with the schematic and I should know better since I do this stuff all day.

#8 User is offline   frozen 

• Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

Posted 15 December 2009 - 08:17 PM

I think your best bet is to pull out the multimeter/ohmeter and check wires manually. Pull the relay and check from the relay contact to what I think is an orange wire on the headlamp connector. Then check from the black wire on the headlamp connector to ground. Then try and isolate the issue from there.

#9 User is offline   radu_rd2 

• Post Whore In Training

Posted 16 December 2009 - 12:12 AM

Are you sure the lows are supposed to go off when you switch to high? I'm not so sure, I think all of them stay on..

#10 User is offline   stealth 

• Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon

Posted 16 December 2009 - 11:59 AM

^^ I'm pretty sure they turn off when you flip to the high beams. When I go home for lunch I'll check, unless someone beats me to it.

#11 User is offline   Ericy321 

• SUPREME POST WHORE!!!

Posted 16 December 2009 - 01:16 PM

I think they are supposed to but if they arent then at least its one less thing to think about. I may just end up running a wire from the relay to the brights and calling it good unless I can figure something else out Im missing.

#12 User is offline   ZKend 

• Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Posted 16 December 2009 - 02:18 PM

pretty sure the lows stay on when you flash the high beams....

#13 User is offline   radu_rd2 

• Post Whore In Training

Posted 16 December 2009 - 04:46 PM

Yeah, actually HIDs take like a second to turn on even when they're hot, I would have noticed that when flashing or when switching from high to low.

Just saying, nothing is crossed, the wires or grounds for the highs are just fuxored..

This post has been edited by radu_rd2: 16 December 2009 - 04:47 PM

#14 User is offline   Ericy321 

• SUPREME POST WHORE!!!

Posted 16 December 2009 - 07:09 PM

Half way fixed. The problem is the little pieces where the clip goes to hold the bright in. They are rusty as hell and are not conductive anymore which makes the brights not work. Going to pull the tabs off my blue RD2 for now so i can get the black piece out of here this weekend!

HyundaiAftermarket

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users