Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

I'm Going To Cut The Springs. Cutting Coil Springs.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Everyone here with more money for springs, than spare stock springs laying about, says "don't cut the springs" Those who have had them cut properly said it was fine. One person with a tib, who didn't take out a non-integer number of coils totalled their car because the spring was not riding in the perch, and it upset the chassis when the spring dislodged when they hit a bump on the highway. Rolls.

If you go to hot rod boards, cutting up to 2 springs is a time-honored way of adjusting ride height.

The spring rates on this thing are too low anyhow. Then I went and took a hundred pounds of dieing autotragic out of the front end.

I have a full set of stock springs on my parts car if I just can't stand the results, so...

Imma cut me some SPRANGS.
To be specific, I'm considering cutting one full coil off the stock front springs, and if the back springs are tangential (read: falls over if you stand it up, has to sit in the perch just so) also, I'll do those as well.

This thread is to document the process, with pics before and after, as well as subjective results and hints/tips/problems I come up with. Feel free to add constructive criticism.

If all you have to add to this thread is how I shouldn't do it and it will kill me, feel free to go soak your head.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

Sweet man, GO FOR IT!

Also...which newspaper covers your region?
Old 11-06-2008, 11:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

I vote that the moderators not allow people to post threads about mods that are very unsafe and can kill not only you, but the person you crash into.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:15 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

Would it be less risky to buy cheapo springs off ebay?
Old 11-07-2008, 01:10 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

^^ less work too...

Dude, I'm sorry, but you're a moron.

Have you ever been driving around and seen those cars (civics) that are literally BOUNCING up and down on the road when they hit the smallest bumps? That's what happens when you cut your springs and they start to wear.

Go take a physics class, you'll learn how insanely stupid this is.

Your argument is that the spring rates are too low .. please provide some documentation for this.

"One person who didn't take out a non-integer number of coils" .. that sentence doesn't even make sense.

If you go to any board where people aren't morons, cutting your springs is a time-honored way to endanger yourself, make your ride handle like shit, and decrease the hardness of your springs, so you look stupid while driving too.

Only other member on here to cut his springs was DTN, as big of a moron as he is, after several months, even HE admitted it was a mistake and he swapped them out.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:06 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

Unfortunately i have also heard that cutting springs are very bad.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:28 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

QUOTE (zoned019 @ Nov 7 2008, 03:10 AM)
"One person who didn't take out a non-integer number of coils" .. that sentence doesn't even make sense.

Just to clarify when hes referring to "non-integer" i believe he is referring to non whole amount like the guy took out 1.5 number of coils instead of exactly 1 or 2
Old 11-07-2008, 05:38 AM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

please don't guy its too dangerous. you will crash

what are a set of eibachs 200

do it right do it once. fing02.gif
Old 11-07-2008, 06:26 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

I know what an integer is. He used a double negative, and the sentence as a whole just didn't make sense. Let's not argue grammar though. Cutting your springs it stupid, dangerous, and really isn't that great for you vehicle either. I don't see any advantages, so why?
Old 11-07-2008, 06:36 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I'd say it's worth a shot. We can speculate on it all we want, but nothing's been proved until someone actually does it.

Civics that are bouncing up and down aren't due to cut springs, that's bad shocks.