DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

Diy Repair Heater Switch Intermittant Contact.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:42 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

My heater switch was going out from turning it on and off too many times. I opened it up and found that the contacts had worn down and a bit of the plastic mount for the heater contacts was melted, preventing the heater from making good contact. It's a simple fix, it now feels better when I turn the dial then it did before. If your heater stops working "between the numbers", it's a sign that it may stop functioning soon.

You will need:
Dielectric grease
Electronics cleaner
SMALL pin punch or small screw driver
general tools,
1 corona with a lime.

Here's what I found when I opened the 1234 switch from the heater cluster

Here's what I found to be the problems

Here's the soloutions

Usually, switches like this just need to be replaced, but the Hyundai engineering department used materials which could be rebuilt/maintained. It feels great, there is no intermittent contact anymore. It clicks perfectly into place and does not cut out at all.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

WIN! laugh.gif

I don't have this problem but I would never have thought to try to open the switch. ::Mr. Burns:: "excellent."
Old 11-03-2008, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Looks real good man, nice writeup. I'm apparently not experiencing this at all because I'm not sure what exactly you mean by 'intermittant'... Can you explain the symptoms a little more?
Old 11-03-2008, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

sounds to me like "sometimes she works, sometimes she don't" action. Stops clicking, then stops working when the selector isn't right-on one of the numbers. Then just plain stops working.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:08 AM
DTN

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Yes, an "intermittent fault" is the technical term for "it works sometimes". If I put it on 4 and jiggled the 1234 dial, it would start working again. If I hit a big bump, or touched it wrong, it would stop working.