External Appearance Modifications to the exterior of your car. Body Kits, Head lights/bulbs, tail lights/bulbs, spoilers, antennas, sidemarkers, etc.

Exterior Door Handle Installation On A 01 Tib

Old 06-05-2008, 10:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a new driver side exterior door handle for my 01 tiburon since my old one was broke. anyway i took off the door panel and can see the handle
but i have no room to get to it becasue of the sheet metal shell of the door. How do i get the handle off?? How do i get to it since it doesnt look lke i can unbolt the metal shell
to get a clear view of it?? thx
Old 06-06-2008, 04:26 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

2001 > G 2.0 DOHC > Body (Interior & Exterior) REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION1.Remove the door window regulator handle and then remove clip using a piece of cloth (Manual type only).

2.Remove the inside handle housing.

3.Remove the power window switch.Disconnect the power window switch connector.

4.Remove the mounting screws from the grip handle, and remove the door trim panel.Disconnect the door lamp connector.

5.Remove the door grip handle mounting bracket, and inside handle mounting bracket and then door trim seal.

6.Remove the door glass stopper catch.

7.Remove the glass stopper bolts, and carrier plate bolts from the door glass, and then pull out the door glass through the window slot.

8.Remove the power window door regulator mounting bolts and then disconnect the power window regulator connector.

9.Remove the mounting bolt and nut from the door glass channel.

10.Remove the door outside belt moulding.

11.Remove the door outside mirror and door delta chassis.

12.Remove the door outside handle from the door latch rod.

13.Remove the door latch and door lock actuator mounting screw and bolt.Disconnect the door actuator connector.

14.Remove the door checker.

15.Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure. findme(''); findme(''); findme('');
Old 06-06-2008, 05:26 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

That seems like a hell of a lot of work to get the door handle off. I have not ever taken my door apart but im sure there has to be some steps there thats not needed to remove the handle.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:00 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

THere's a LOT of problems with those instructions, and about 1/2 of them look unneeded.

For example, it says to take off the inside handle cover, then the inside door pull handle, THEN take off the door trim piece?

You cannot remove the center plastic trip piece, the way it's shown in those pictures, without removing the entire door panel first.

There is no reason to remove the door molding for the windows.

I'm going to do my door handles with some CF overlays like was found on ebay recently, just need some pricing from Compact Divisions first. After that, I'll look at it.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:23 PM

thanks for those directions but they are hard to comprehend. is there any easier way to do this. example, get a swivel socket and take the bolts for the handle off from the small hole where the actuator rods go??

if there is any better directions, id like them or an easier way would be nice too, but again thanks for the start i really appreciate it.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:53 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

I believe there is a tiny access hole. You may have to put the socket on the nut, then put an extension through the hole and connect it to the socket. The angle isn't perfect, but its enough to loosen off the bolt.

I had to do this when I had my car painted last year. Most of the steps in the diagram aren't needed, other than taking off the door panel. Its pretty simple, you just have to look at it from every angle once you get the door panel off.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:56 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Those steps were from HMA service under door disassembly. I thought they might help you.

I searched HMAservice for you and that was the only referecene I could find.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:54 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Lots of needed steps in there... I haven't fully taken mine off, but I've been close, and it appears you could do it with these steps.
(Be sure your window is rolled up)
1. Remove door panel (7 screws, the door handle cover, the corner plate (pressure clips), a few more pressure clips and some wiggling. Disconnect mirror, window and door light wires.
2. Remove plastic covering door panel (use sturdy, disposable latex gloves, the tar stuff is a mess and will NOT come off your hands!!)
3. Look in the door through one of the many large holes and you can see the handle. I'm pretty sure there's two bolts you can easily undo. The door handle should start to come out from the outside.
4. Disconnect the connecting rod, you should be able to reach it from the outside.

You may have to remove one or two extra bolts, but you don't have to mess with the other steps DTN mentioned about all the window mechanism. Like you *may* have to remove the left bolt in this step:

His steps 7-11 are not necessary, among others.