Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Low Boost On Stock Compression

Old 01-21-2008, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX

Hello again everyone,

As you all may know, I will soon have my car running on a haltech e6x, which allows great tuning abilities.

My overall goal is to run 15-20 psi on a fully built bottom end, but to get boosted sooner, I was thinking of running 6 psi on stock compression/internals.

I have just purchased a manifold and a 38mm tial gate with a .4 bar spring, I already have 850cc injectors (a little overkill for now, lol), a 3 bar map sensor, stage IV 6 puck clutch.

I was wondering if anyone has done something like this before, or if you all run decompression gaskets as soon as you boost? I think the engine could take the light amount of boost with tuning on the safe side.

The turbo I am likely going with is this: http://www.full-race.com/catalog/product_i...d2744665c880f51

That should give me strong boost onset in the mid 3000 rpm range and flow enough air for high 3-low 400 whp, my project goals in the end.

All that is left for me to buy at this point is oil supply and drain fittings/lines,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...rksid=p3907.m29

the walbro 255lph pump, an intercooler, intercooler piping, and a haltech boost controller (although I won't be using it until I build the 2.0 that is in my basement, unless the stock bottom end without a spacer can hold more than 6 psi). I figure boost and oil pressure are the only gauges I will be needing as I already have the wideband.

What do you guys think of the plan?

Thanks.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:41 AM
Banned

of all people, i thought you would have done some searching. most of the turbo guys on here are running stock compression, and they are running 8-10 psi.

jon was/is pushing ~300whp on a completely STOCK motor. i believe he was pushing 14-15 psi.. its pretty much ALL in the tuning which you will have the ability to do it right with the haltech.

so, to answer your question, YES, you can push up to 300whp on a completely un-opened motor with the right tuning and components.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:02 AM

Sorry for the no searching, thanks for the info, I just get lazy and like specific answers/opinions on my component selection.

Looks like I will be needing that haltech boost controller sooner than I thought, lol.

Thanks again.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:03 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

Also remember Jon was boosting 14 psi on a low milage and healthy engine. If you don't have a strong healthy engine, I wouldn't strive for 300whp on stock internals. Unless you don't really mind what will happen to the engine.

Do a leak down test to find out a rough estimate of what condition the engine is in. I think Jon even ran the car at 17psi if I remember correctly.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:34 PM

My engine is at 76000 miles, it does not burn any oil whatsoever and judging by the fact that I have the highest na hp and the fastest na track time, I would say it is in excellent condition.

I would be more than happy with even 250, so I won't be pushing the limits too far.

I already have low comp wiseco pistons, looks like I can simply get the stock rods in the extra 2.0 I have shot peened and cryo treated and run about 400 whp safely?

I might have to do that so I don't have to purchase the expensive as hell pauters and pay extra for the machining for clearance.

The only curiosity that I have now is can the stock rods handle that much hp while spinning up to 7500 rpm?

Thanks.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:27 PM
Banned

well. tim ran completely STOCK rods with no shot peening or treating on his elantra. he pushed ~430whp before they failed.. shot peening and treating the rods should raise the threshhold a bit. so depending on tuning, you SHOULD be fine once you build the motor.

im not sure what tims revs were at on his dyno, you can check it out though..

theres no way to ACCURATELY say what will work on one setup and what will work on another setup.

i would say with the treated rods, pistons, and the right tune, you should have no problem hitting 400whp with the right components.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:08 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

This is practically the exact same setup I am starting as well! Same goals, same everything pretty much, except I'm going w/ the dual rail and smt-6. I've been reading and reading for the past few weeks, I've read every thread in the first 12 pages of the power adders forum so far tongue.gif
Old 01-22-2008, 02:59 PM

Thanks for the info guys,

I think I am just going to stick with the stockers shot peened and cryo treated.

Did Tim have ARP rod bolts? Or stockers, I know you said completely stock, but I just want to confirm. I might purchase them anyway.

Frozen: You're doing the right thing, read and read until your eyeballs are so dry you can't close your eyelids, lol.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:53 AM

Socks said it best, it's all about tunning!

But it's confirmed, a bone stock Beta can run 15psi daily drive. cool.gif

I'm running as we speak 15psi with peaks of 17psi if I decide to floor it in 4th and 5th gear. Completly stock engine, pistons and rods. Granted I haven't been driving around for months with that much boost. For the last 10 000km I've been boosting from 10psi to 17psi recently, mostly because of the weather here in Quebec that's getting colder. The addition of the Air Ram also help pushing the limits a little bit wink1.gif

T3 super 60 turbo
2nd fuel rails spacer with 480cc injectors
air ram
smt-6
3" exhaust strait front to back
2,5 piping
3" CAI in driver fender

I'll spare you the long parts list, but it's confirmed. My friend Denist99 as even seen is boost gauge over 20psi a couple of times I beleive. tongue.gif In the end, right after tunning, the most important thing is a head on your shoulders! Of course I'm not pushing the engine to the max every day, once in a while is enough, espacialy with 0 traction (yeah winter). But when I want it, it's nice to see the gauge go over 15psi fing02.gif I've got no idea how much power it turns out, since I've never gotten the car on a dyno up to date.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:15 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Elantra

I'm running the same setup as you Tyler, the only difference is I have low compression pistons. You have ridden in my car, it's all in the tuning. I'm sure the Beta motor can handle 400whp plus with a good tune on stock rods and ARP rod bolts and head bolts. Remeber, Tim ran 430whp on a stock 1.8 with pistons, with some ARP products, it could do more.

Quick Reply: Low Boost On Stock Compression