DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

Diy Clean Your Pcv Oil Drain

Old 07-02-2007, 07:41 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

<span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Introduction:</span>
The PCV system removes gasses from the engine and sends them into the intake manifold. The PCV system consists of a fitting on the intake manifold, some hose, the PCV valve and a separator. It also has a breather to send air back into the engine when there is some vacuum.

The PCV's job is to open a path for air to escape the engine. At one point in time, the PCV was just a filter to vent air to atmosphere. But because of clean air acts, automotive manufacturers have been forced to recirculate the PCV into the vacuum of the intake manfiold. The PCV is important because without it, pressure would cause damage and possibly explode the engine.

Because the PCV is hooked to the vacuum of the intake manifold, it has to replace air removed from the engine somehow. The breather is there to replace air when the pressure inside the engine drops below atmospheric pressure.

As an engine becomes more worn, the engine needs more room to displace it's positive pressure. Eventually the engine will use the breather as well. The engine will start consuming more oil. This is a sign of a worn out engine.... or is it?

Our engines basicaly have a recirculatory catch can inside which is meant to give vaporized oil time to settle in the air before it hits the PCV and then it drains back into the valves. If this drain becomes clogged, it's possible to splash oil right into the breather when you hit a bump on the road. It also makes it more possible for blowby gas to venturi the oil into your intake.

Sometimes when I was driving I would notice that my car would not be as responsive as it should be. It would come on pretty suddenly after driving it for a while. I found out that this was caused from oil on the Mass Air Flow sensor. The oil was draining from my engine into the intake and building up around the silicone couplers in the intake, then spraying every once in a while onto the MAF. Cleaning the MAF would fix the problem, but it would come back eventually, and suddenly.

I found my drain was clogged.

<span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">
<span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"></span>Scope:
</span><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%">This DIY covers removal and cleaning of the separator drain of the PCV system. This DIY should not be used as a replacement for shop manuals.</span>

<span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"></span>You will need:
</span><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%">10MM ratchet
plyers
flat head screw driver
phillips head screw driver
a pipe cleaner or some solder
degreaser
1 Corona with a lime
</span>

<span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">Remove Spark cover and valve cover:
<span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%">1. Use a 10mm socket to remove bolts securing the spark cover to the valve cover
2. pull to remove spark plug wires from spark plugs
3. Using a pair of plyers remove stock clips or flathead to remove pipe clamps from PCV and breather lines then pull lines from valve cover
4. Use a 10mm socket to remove bolts securing the valve cover to the head.

</span><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">

Remove separator from valve cover
</span></span><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%">1. Use philips screw driver to remove screws securing separator to valve cover
2. Pull genly to remove separtor from valve cover.

</span></span>

<span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"></span>Clean separator drain</span>
1. Pour some degreaser down the drain hole
2. Use a pipe cleaner or another similar object like solder to run it through and clean buildup from walls

<span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"></span>
Installation is the reverse of removal</span>

<span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"></span>
Conclusion</span>
Your oil should be draining properly from your PCV system now. That took such a short period of time, you forgot to drink the Corona with a lime. This would be a good time to clean your MAF sensor.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds cool think i might do that when i eventually do a 1.8 cam
Old 07-09-2007, 11:32 PM
DTN

Well, it's been a week, i've boosted nitrous, idled my car alot, hit the highway, peeled rubber, drove at 5KRPM.. You know, everything you're not supposed to do to your tiburon...

There is still no oil in my intake!

Just thought I'd check back in and let people know; If you think you need a catch can for your breather, think about cleaning the PCV oil drain first.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:26 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

i gotta do this later.

whats the part number on the PCV ? whered you get yours ?
Old 07-25-2007, 05:12 AM
DTN

on the valve?!? A PCV valve costs like $3 at your local auto parts store and takes 5 minutes to install. This is for the PCV drain though.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:10 AM

Vehicle: car

no offense DTN, but I think my mom could change that in less than 5 mins... All it is, is the hose on the pcv, and a box wrench or channel locks. Shiny silver thing on back of valve cover = PCV valve loneshark.

AutoZone
Deutsch - PCV1144 Price - $4.49 + Tax

Murrays
Fram - FV266 Price - $4.49 + Tax
Purolator - PV1033 Price - $7.99 + Tax
Old 08-01-2007, 03:39 AM
DTN

Go to advanced auto parts, that's where I got mine for $3.

... but that's off topic.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:11 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

That little drain will fill probably fill up in like a week. I'd love to get a catch can, but I don't think anyone has really found a GOOD way to hook one up to our cars yet.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:07 PM
DTN

^^ no man, it's been about a month now and my intake is still clean. The "little pipe" is the same size as the rest of the PCV piping man. Clean it. It should stay clean for a long time.

The only reason mine clogged was because of an internal nitrous powered engine fire. It could clog up from overheating or not changing the oil or not flushing the oil every once in a while as well.

You act like it's some fancy new fangle thing that shouldn't be trusted. This pipe was designed by the manufacturer to do the same thing as a catch can. It can clog, just like anything else in a car. After 80,000 miles and an internal nitrous oxide engine fire, that can happen.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:07 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

FYI i checked to see if i had to do this DIY while i had my valve cover off and mine was clean as a whistle, looked GREAT, i ran the wire through the curved tube to make sure and it was fine.

Mobil 1 changed every 2000 miles FTW!