Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Tranny Problems And Need Help On Removing/bypassing The Factory Alarm System

Old 05-11-2007, 06:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like some insight or instructions on removing or bypassing the the factory alarm system to get my (1998 Tiburon FX 2.0 5speed manual) car to start. I heard a pop under the dash smoke came up from behind the radio where the ETACM (electronic time alarm control module ) is located. All kinds of strange things has happened since then. If I can bypass or remove the alarm system I think I can get it going from there and work on the other problems

Lost 3rd and 4th gear on the tranny, I think the altenator is overcharging the battery and I can't get it to start anymore because the ETACM blew up. I think the alarm control module is preventing us from starting. Is there anyway to bypass this or will i need to purchase another one $75 at the salvage yard. pretty expensive for just a speculation. If anyone can shed some light on this I appreciate it, bypass or taking the alarm out all together. I am a DIYer if I have good instructions.

Thanks
Patchezs cool.gif
Old 05-11-2007, 08:09 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

this should be 2 threads.

you need to locate the box, trace wires, and remove them one by one.

I don't know about your tranny.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:37 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

The Engine and Transmission forum would be a good place to post questions about your Transmission.

I don't know of any Tiburons owners here who have the factory alarm system installed. Where are you located?

Try to find a fuse in the engine bay fusebox that controls the factory alarm.
Pull the radio out and see if you can find what happened (burned wires, control box, etc.)

Do you have any voltage reader that you can put on the battery? I'm not sure why a surge to the Alarm module would cause your alternator to be overcharging your battery.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:49 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

Not sure about the tranny, I would make a separate post about it in the Engine/Transmission forum and you will get some help by the gurus on here.

For the alarm, when I had problems with the alarm, I just removed the brain. That's the simplest solution, remove the brain and tape the ends of the wires so you don't get shorts. For me, the brain was right under the lower crash pad (under the gauge cluster, above ur feet)

And why have I never heard of the ETACM before? I've had 2 tibs and been on here for 3+ years..???
Old 05-11-2007, 10:29 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I've never heard of the ETACM either.

Are you familiar with HMA WebTech?
Old 05-11-2007, 05:43 PM

I sorry i mislead some to think I was refering the altenator problem with the alarm, it is two seperate problems unrelated.

Zoned019 I have a device that might be the brain box under the dash about the same place you are referring to. I don't have to make any connections after disconnecting the brain box. the reason i ask is because my side marker lights stay on and won't go out until I disconnect the battery and the headlights/taillights won't come on at all. Like it is an alarm condition and won't let me start it.

I got the info ETACM from HMA Webtech http://www.hmaservice.com/index.jsp

REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
Disconnect the battery negative terminal.
Remove the shift lever boot using a (-) driver.

Remove the center facia panel.

After removal of ETACM (Electronic Time and Alarm Control Module) mounting bolts (2EA), disconnect its connector.

Installation is the reverse order of removal procedure.

(it didn't show the illustrations)

thanks
patches

Still thanking everyone for the useful posts, so far I've removed the ETACM and disconnected the brain box the label on the brain box says it is a Tiburon Elantra Security System.

I have to get another battery to find out if I've accomplished what i set out to do

QUOTE (majikTib @ May 11 2007, 09:37 AM)
The Engine and Transmission forum would be a good place to post questions about your Transmission.

I don't know of any Tiburons owners here who have the factory alarm system installed. Where are you located?

Pull the radio out and see if you can find what happened (burned wires, control box, etc.)

Do you have any voltage reader that you can put on the battery? I'm not sure why a surge to the Alarm module would cause your alternator to be overcharging your battery.

I did find a blown (alarm/radio) fuse whenever first started to try and figure out the problem. I replaced the fuse and the radio came back on without lights on the display. did i mention the headlights stopped working and I don't see any voltage at either of the headlight fuses in the engine bay fuse box.
Does this sound like the alarm was engaged to prevent thief? Also the armed light on top the steering column doesn't operate anymore. My delimna now is whether I'm on the right track or not I could buy the brain box and the ETACM but it's expensive even at the salvage yard. unless someone knows where to order cheaper online.

I think i just have a bad altenator on the battery issue. I was just rambling on my first post about some of the things that needed attention and I'll get a chance to post the other issues in the correct forums

thanks
patchezs
Old 05-13-2007, 01:47 PM

thanks for all the input on the the alram issue, I was able to diconnect alarm under the dash just above the brake pedal and get my 1998 tibby FX to start as suggested on this site. Now I have to figure out why I don't have volage on the fuses to the headlamps. any ideas are helpful and appreciated

thanks
patches dancing.gif dancing.gif
Old 05-13-2007, 01:59 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

we haven't had a good talk about the electronic time and control module in a while. there are threads here on it though.

how good of a DIY'er are you? can you follow schematics? they are all over webtech and you can narrow the source of the voltage problem down to a specific section. anytime you see a label on the schematic it almost always can be found physically in the car by going to the general section of the etm tab too.

after tomorrow i am done with finals. i'd be willing to read you through some testing steps on aim or some shiz provided you have and know how to use a multimeter.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:41 AM

QUOTE (tibby01 @ May 13 2007, 02:59 PM)
we haven't had a good talk about the electronic time and control module in a while. there are threads here on it though.

how good of a DIY'er are you? can you follow schematics? they are all over webtech and you can narrow the source of the voltage problem down to a specific section. anytime you see a label on the schematic it almost always can be found physically in the car by going to the general section of the etm tab too.

after tomorrow i am done with finals. i'd be willing to read you through some testing steps on aim or some shiz provided you have and know how to use a multimeter.

Thanks tibby01
I think I am a pretty good DIYer, I pretty much go all the work on my vehicles first before I take it to a shop. I just can't trust these shops anymore. Sometimes it takes me awhile to understand and follow the schematics, but i eventually get there. I always find a good forum like this one to get the information i need before i get started.

I did get the headlights working. Who would have known both low and high beams would be blown at the same time on each headlight? I would get voltage at the relays but still nothing at the fuses, so I just checked at the plug connecter to the lamp itself.

As far as the ETACM, well that really wasn't the problem, it was actually the brain box under the dash. I just took the alarm out all together by disconnecting the Tiburon / Elantra Security System Console module. Everything electrical seems to be in working order so far.

Qusetion. Is a headunit a device that converts my factory radio ouputs to add an amp or sub?

Thanks again to everyone, now I will concentrate on the tranny 3rd and 4th gears are out and i don't if i should try to see if it's the sychronizers or just go for another tranny at the salvage either way is going to be pretty expensive

Patchezs
Old 05-29-2017, 02:42 AM

Vehicle: CharlesPsymnOB

Originally Posted by majik

My 2000 tibby with just 76,000 miles, I got from origional owner. She said the alarm is factory. The key fob has Hyundai and logo cast into it.