Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Keep Popping Ecu Fuses! Why?

Old 09-22-2006, 08:06 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Magically, After I get my car payed off, all this stuff starts happening!!

A few weeks ago, my ECU fuse in the fuse box located in the engine compartment blew. I figured it was probably just an old or faulty fuse. So, i replaced it and forgot about it. Now, this morning on my way to work, it pops again! What the hell could be causing my ECU fuse to blow.

I just changed spark plugs and cables about 4 weeks ago. The fuse popped about 2 weeks after I did that, and now 2 weeks later has popped again. Not sure if there is a connection.

Some info on my electrical system as of now.
*I have a stereo with subs and 2 amps. All have been installed for 2.5 years with no problems.
*I have done the "Big 3 Wire" upgrade, that has also been installed for about 3 years.
*My last set of sparkplug wires I installed had noise cancelling resistors in line to help with noise through the stereo and was also suppose to get me some more MPG. Not sure if they worked at all, so I replaced them with some high grade checker wires.
*My alternator was replaced about 1.5 years ago. When it went, it was actually putting out way too many volts. It was outputting about 17.5 volts to my electrical system. I'm surprised nothing happend then. It did manage to set my airbag light off and fry two new batteries before I realized that it was the alternator.

That should be about it. Any ideas would be great. I'm thinking maybe this is why I failed my emissions tests as well. Is it possible the ECU could be bad? or that a lone wire shorting somewhere is the problem?

Anybody????
Old 09-26-2006, 11:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

same thing happend to me ....check your lower o2 sensor the wires tend to melt and ground off your exaust shorting out the fuse took me 4 days to find when it happend.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:02 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Yep, similar situation. I managed to forget to clip the os sensor wires up, so they were rubbing against the axel and wore the sheath off!! Thats why once everything got warmed up, including the wires, and I stopped, they wires would droop down fare enough to short out on the axel. Got it fixed and all is well yet again! smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif