DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

Quick & Easy Rim Restore

Old 03-25-2006, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 tib

These rims have only seen 7000 kms ,but are 2000 model's so they are now 6 years old...So as you can see the grey factory paint in the inside of the chromed rim looks like crap

Its easy to make it look like this!

First you need some things..
1. beer of choice (Keith's & Corona"s for me)
2. High heat brake caliper or engine paint(I find "Dupli Color" 260/500 F degree aluminum is the most durable canned spray for bout $8. at any Canadian Tire Store)
3.100 or 120 grit sandpaper,masking tape(I only had cheap duct tape)
4.paint thinner,rag,newspaper,sharp knife Or cutter

First off,the more spokes you have the longer this project will take.Start by cleaning the inside of the rim with a cleaner of your choice.Make sure it's dry,then sand out any imperfections and "buff"everything inside lightly with the finest grade paper and wipe REAL clean with a rag and thinner.
When dry ,start taping over the holes between the spokes.Then carefully cut around the outside of the hole as close to the perimiter of it as you can and peel away the access tape.

Do this to all rims/holes.Tape paper to the outside of the rim to protect the tires.Now dry wipe (or air blow) the cooties out and spray away(as per dir on the can).

If you want added protection,you can apply a clear coat of paint as well after drying time(i did'nt). Peel the tape away and voila...total time( rims already off,minus beer & foolishness) on this was 1hr30min.

Old 03-25-2006, 09:54 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

dude, that looks REALLY good. excellant job man. cool.gif
Old 03-25-2006, 10:19 PM

Vehicle: 2000 tib

THANKS!! smile.gif ,they came out WAY better than expected!
Old 03-25-2006, 10:44 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Turbulence

Very nice. My rims are looking about the same shape as yours. I just rubbed them down with Emery (sp) cloth last night, so maybe i'll carry on and do the same as you. Thanks for the persuasion! tongue.gif Those look great.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:42 PM

did u only do the inside of the rim or the outside face aswell?
Old 04-17-2006, 02:23 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

ohhhh....
I can't wait till I have my own garage next month, so many projects to keep me busy..
mmm

looks good. Put them on the car and post of picture of what they look like with light on them at like sunset. I'm sure it makes your wheel well and rims in general stand out MUCH better...

this would be very hard (and very pointless) on my rims though. Maybe a couple 6 packs and some gloss black...

Old 04-17-2006, 02:36 PM

hmmmmmmm..... (cdog thinks to himself) hmmmmm............

i wonder if i could use this idea on the outside of my konig's... that paint looks darn close to the look of the lip of my 17's... wonder if i could use this stuff to just paint over all of my minor imperfections on the wheel.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:08 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

Bump,
So can this be used on the outside of the wheel as well?