DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

Wheel stud replacement

Old 04-30-2004, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

most of us have, or will break or strip a wheel stud somewhere along the lines. when i first had to replace one, i waited a couple months and eventually got a shop to do it. the guy at the shop let me look at how they did it, and i almost crapped my pants knowing that i was paying someone else 50 bucks to do something that easy. so if you've never done it before, and happen to break a stud, do it yourself and save 50 bux towards something else.

what you need:

1. regular sized socket wrench
2. 17mm socket
3. whatever you normally use to get the lugs off(i have a torque wrench i use, but the wrench with the spare works fine)
4. hammer
5. a extra lug you dont care about, or a nut that will screw completely down on the stud without hitting the wheels.
6. new stud. its about 1.70 at hyundai parts. you may want to pick up another lug too, as one will get damaged(but is still perfectly useable) if you cant find a appropriate nut. a lug/stud pack is like 4 bucks i think.
7. whatever beer you like, just dont make it corona, that crap tastes like rat piss. wink.gif

Steps:

1. Remove wheel

2. Remove the Caliper from the knuckle. you do not need to remove the bolts that hold the actual caliper together, just the ones that hold it to the knuckle. i pointed to the one on top that you need to remove, just find the other one on the bottom and take that one off too.

3. if the rotor will slide off easily, then take it off. it will just get in the way if its bobbling around everywhere. if it doesnt come off, dont worry, you will just have to reach around it a tad bit more. mine slid off fine, because i put zinc coated rotors on, and because i sprayed some caliper paint on the hub.

4. rotate the hub so that the damaged stud is not in front of the cover.

5. hammer backwards until it pops out. it shouldnt be too hard to get out, even if you do live where the roads are salted. new stud vs. old stud

6. stick the new stud through the hole and hold it in place with your hand. screw on whatever lug you dont care about as much as you can with your hand. then screw it down enough so you can get the lug on it with the wheel and rotor on(you will see it start pushing the top of the lug up). i wrapped the hammer with a rag, and then put it underneath one of the other studs to keep the thing from spinning(be careful not to damage the threads though).

7. put the rotor back on if you took it off, bolt the caliper back down to the knuckle after sliding it over the rotor, and put the wheel back on. tighten down all the lugs as much as you can(so that the wheel doesnt move, lower the car enough so that the wheel wont spin, and completely tighten them. after a couple days of driving, make sure the lug on the stud that you repaired is still on tightly. yeah, i need to get another lug.
Old 04-30-2004, 05:29 PM

i just did this the other day.....reall easy.
the only thing i removed was the wheel, hammered out the stud with a mallet, reached into the hat (with my skinny hand) and pulled out the old stud and and put the new stud in and torqued it on. ...... so simpo laugh.gif
Old 04-30-2004, 05:31 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Nice! I didn't realize it was that easy!
Old 04-30-2004, 05:34 PM

There's a difference between C-130's and cars. Stay on topic FWB Newb!
Old 04-30-2004, 06:33 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

aww.. Tibby... did you do this for me? oops.gif

makes me wanna get my tools and go do it right now... but it's raining at the moment and I don't have a garage :x wonderful tennessee weather :roll:

So tell me, how easy is it to remove your rotors? Just curious for when I get my new drilled/slotted ones. Just remove the brake caliper and pull? Any tools I could use to help? (kro-bar?)

Also, when installing new rotors, would it be best to apply grease anywhere, or does it just pop on and that's all there is to it? What rotors do you have?
Old 04-30-2004, 06:43 PM

Don't forget the two screws.
Old 04-30-2004, 06:47 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

well, i had to change it out. there is this bumpy back road i fly through every day, and it kinda scares me knowing that i only have three lugs holding my wheel on. i thought at first you didnt know how to take it off, and while you do, i realized there still are A LOT of people who dont know how easy it is. so i figured id snap some pictures while i was doing it, seeing as how i mod the DIY section and havent made a DIY yet...lol

the amount of salt they put on the roads in the winter determines how easy your rotors are to get off. here in MD, they dump piles of salt down as soon as they see a spec of white falling from the sky. check out this...towaards the bottom.

http://rdtiburon.com/index.php?name=PNphpB...r=asc&start=240

when you put the new rotors on, i would spray some kind of paint on the hub to prevent rusting after scrapping it with a wire brush. make sure the bolts that hold the caliper bracket on are lubed up properly too, you may get some squeking if they arent.
Old 04-30-2004, 08:19 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

shock.gif I just saw this... kinda scares me on what to expect... shock.gif We don't get much snow, and I don't take my car on the salted roads, so hopefully it won't be that bad. Just changed my front pads and saw rust on the rotors, but didn't check to see how easy they'd come off. When the dealership changes my studs, should I ask if they can pry the rotors off and put them back on, just so they aren't so bad when I change them?

Tibby01... do you have AIM, MSN, Yahoo? Any of 'em? I need you to get it if you don't... it'd make things so much easier. PM or Post it if you'd like