DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

Redzman's Diy Trunk Z3 Light Mod

Old 08-20-2003, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Upon popular request, I'm remaking this DIY for everyone. As I am in Korea and can't get to my car to double check, the measurments and sizes of sockets may be wrong, I'm working from a hungover memory (Damned Soju).

First off, you will need the following...

1. 1st or 2nd Gen Tiburon tongue.gif

2. Phillips Screwdriver

3. 10MM Socket with Ratchet.

4. Very sharp knife, I'd suggest a brand new razor.

5. 1 Wire tap.

6. 3 wire connectors (The blue ones you crush).

7. Approximately 10 feet of speaker wire, one strand.

8. 2 of these "Z3 E36 E46 M3 STYLE SIDE MARKER LIGHT LIGHTS" Just go to ebay.com and search for Z3 light, they are always on sale. Currently, there are 2 sets for $16.99. If you're not sure, look at the add, the lights should look like this.

9. This is optional, but I'd highly suggest you get some size 194 LED bulbs to replace the ones that come with the lights. One of mine was all discolored so I replaced them. The ones on ebay come with blue bulbs. Make sure you get the single bulb LED replacments, the Quad ones get too warm and will discolor or melt the lens.

10. 6 pack of Corona, no lime. laugh.gif shock.gif

Ok, first thing's first, take off the trunk lid.

Go ahead and remove the stock trunk light and pull it from it's connector.

The cradles that hold the trunk lid, unscrew all the screws around them and remove them. Do this on both sides.

Now, remove all of the bolts and the one screw that hold on the metal bracket shown here. You may need to put your seats forward. Again, do this on both sides.

Now, I had an issue with the next part, cutting off the stock connector. When you do it, make sure you pull the fuse in your fuse box that the trunk light is connected to, if you don't and you cut both wires at once, you'll blow the fuse. :? :roll: :twisted:

Ok, get the wire tap (Red in picture below) and run your speaker wire thru the slot that goes all the way. Leave yourself about 4 inches to play with on one end. Put the yellow wire from the connector (Positive wire) in the other slot and clamp the wire tap shut. Run the length of the speaker wire under the trunk seal/gasket around to the other side, where the other marker will go. Pull the light bulb/wire assy from the marker lamps, and crimp (blue in picture) the black and blue wire together and the speaker wire and white wire together.

You'll note that the lights come with screws and a metal clip on the back. Pull the clip off of the one to go into the original hole. Put the light in place (Fits perfectly) and push the clip back on to hold it in place. Then, put the screw in to keep it secured.

I didn't take pics of the next part, but it's not hard. On the other side of the trunk, get your stock light assy and trace around the edge of it with a piece of chalk onto the carpet so you can see where to cut. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THIS MEASURED RIGHT AND PLACED WHERE YOU WANT IT BEFORE YOU CUT! I didn't do the chalk thing, thought of it later, so I got lucky it was lined up just right.

Now, mount the light on that side the same as the other. Crimp the speaker wire you ran over there to the white lead on the new light assy and ground the negative to one of the bolts on the metal trays you took out.

Put the fuse back in, and test the system. If it all works right, put everything back in in reverse order. If it doesn't check all of your connections, and drink a few Coronas. wink.gif laugh.gif

Here's pics of the finished project. Keep in mind, this is with my old CRAPPY camera and the night pics don't show the lighting at all. It's REALLY nice if you have diamond plate in the trunk.

In the pic above, note that the light on the right isn't really blue, it was the stock crappy bulb. Replace them both like I said, with LED's, it's MUCH brighter and pertier.

Finish the Coronas, and go show your friends your new rice.

Oh, BTW, there are some more, cleaner (Car was a mess) pics on this page...

Clicky clicky...
Old 09-04-2003, 10:41 PM

Sweet. For those of you who think anything Z3 on a car that's not a Z3 is gay, you can order another one of the stock bulbs and use it (or find one at a junk yard, or hit someone up who has done this mod). It's not as bright as the LEDs, but it will help. More light in the trunk if certainly a bonus. You can also add LEDs to the back panel to fire light from the back up towards the front. All you need is LEDs, LED holders, resistors and wire (all available at Radio Shack). Just wire them in to your Z3 light mod. It is kinda ghetto, but I really like a fully lit up trunk. It helps me position the bodies!!! laugh.gif
Old 09-04-2003, 10:50 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AllBlackTibby)</div><div class='quotemain'>All you need is LEDs, LED holders, resistors and wire (all available at Radio Shack).</div>

i wouldnt recommend radio shack though. it is very expensive. go here www.superbrightleds.com for leds. the holders and resistors r cheap anywhere u go.
Old 09-04-2003, 10:51 PM

also if you have a problem with the trunk light coming on your gonna have to add a relay and that will take care of that problem.
Old 09-04-2003, 11:19 PM

Default scheduled chat

Also, keep in mind I just used these lights because I like the way they look. They aren't FROM a Z3, and you can use any sidemarker light avaliable.

Nice simple mod though, and it comes out good.

I don't know what you'd need a relay for, if you wire it up the way I say, it turns on when you open your trunk.
Old 09-05-2003, 10:29 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

i just mashed this in the stock thing. it has 6 leds and is very bright. it was a b!tch to jam in there though.
Old 09-05-2003, 10:40 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (REDZMAN)</div><div class='quotemain'>Also, keep in mind I just used these lights because I like the way they look. They aren't FROM a Z3, and you can use any sidemarker light avaliable.

Nice simple mod though, and it comes out good.

I don't know what you'd need a relay for, if you wire it up the way I say, it turns on when you open your trunk.</div>

when i put the 2 neons in my trunk the hatch open light on the dash would come on all the time!!! so once i installed the relay the light quit coming one while i was driving down the road with the hatch close. that is why you need it. if you have the problem on the hatch light coming on while driving!
Old 09-05-2003, 03:39 PM

Tibby 01, I've seen those. But if you do that, you still don't get the cool look. Or the dual lights.

Or credit for doing my mod.

wink.gif
Old 09-06-2003, 02:16 PM

That is pretty cool.. and not really that ricey.. nobody has to see it until you open the hatch.. but I think it would do wonders for light.. the dinky little light on the left side does not do enough.
Old 09-08-2003, 09:37 AM

I just ordered a pair of smoked z3 lights on ebay... well, look-a-likes anyway. This should be a cool looking and subtle mod.