DIY Post all Hyundai DIY Guides here. You may also want to read some of our Hyundai Tutorials. Members who follow these guides do so at their own risks.

DIY :: Short Intake

Old 08-10-2003, 06:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Well, I disagree here.

If you are wanting more power, go for the CAI first of all. Don't bother with the Bypass valve as it negates any gains you recieved and won't do anything unless you dunk your ENTIRE filter under water.

Second, where the hell did you stick the sensor that was in the airbox? You just have it banging around inside of the filter? OUCH!!

NOT A GOOD IDEA!!! CAI's have the hole there to put that sensor in the correct spot.

An addition, some folks get the bright idea to remove the "Grill" from inside their MAF/MAP sensor.

DO NOT DO THIS! It will only mess up your car and you'll have to get a new sensor, $150 or so.

Lastly.

If you are going to do this, or a CAI, remove ALL of the piping from the stock intake setup. The intake portion, the lower resonator (sorta under the battery), the upper resonator/airbox. The engine bay will look much cleaner and will run cooler as there is more room for air to get around or move around the engine. Not to mention, you'll notice a nice big space for some mods.

Good post though. Cheap mod. Once you do this, you'll want a CAI fo sho.
Old 08-10-2003, 06:52 AM

Hey, trust me, I'm just happy there's folks trying to help eachother out.

YES, take it all out. You'll have ALOT more room on the front and bottom of the engine bay for outside air to get in. Very important. You also might want to try the "Random Special" CAI, it's very cheap to make for yourself. Go to www.hyundaiaftermarket.com 's forums and do a quick search man. You'll find all the info you want.

With how cheap even off name CAI's are getting on Ebay, you may want to get one of the RVM ones or something. I've got a AEM, but it's not on the car yet (I just took the resonators off and it's running on the stock filter) because my car is in the US and I'm in Korea. SPIKE was going to give me a cone filter to do something similar to what you've done, but it didn't happen.

Glad you are enjoying modding your car man. Keep it up.
Old 08-10-2003, 08:03 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Bid on the "TRUE CAI" being sold by SSAutochrome on eBay. It is the same EXACT thing as the AEM. The only thing he did different was cut the pipe in two pieces. That was probably for trademark reasons. That's what I have, and it is definately worth it. Plus it only runs about $60 and you get a filter with it! wink1.gif
Old 08-10-2003, 08:13 AM

But, you will not get as many points if you are also going to shows.

LOL

It's true!

EDIT: Name brands are very important at shows. So are unique or newest models.
Old 08-10-2003, 08:24 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Yeah, I kind of figured they look at name brands. We are pretty much screwed then. Hey, aren't your circle earth ground wires an off brand? wink1.gif