Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

building a 300hp G4ED 1.6L LC2 accent...

Old 03-02-2010, 05:04 AM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2003 Hyundai Accent 22PSI Boost
Default building a 300hp G4ED 1.6L LC2 accent...

hello all, im ryan from Australia...

Ok, I own a 2003 Hyundai Accent Turbo. The car is now not running so I am going to do a full rebuild... What would you guys reconmend to get me to that 300hp ATW... heres where I am going at the moment...

standard fuel fump
full return fuel line system
aeromotive fuel regulator
custom fuel rail
4 x RX7 550cc injectors Primary
Bosch 044 fuel pump
2L surge tank

Custom CP Pistons, Rings, Gudgen pins
Custom RR Connecting Rods
Nitride crank
Full Rebuild 20" oversize (dont want to loose to much strength in the block)
Port and polish head
System upgrade throttle body
x3 Excel intake manifold (modified)
EMS Stinger 4424 ECU standalone
AEM ignition discharge module
Garrett T28 Turbo

now the couple of questions I have...

1) The current head has a stainless steel o-ring installed around the combustion chambers and is install in the HEAD ONLY. I have been through 3 x 1.6mm copper head gaskets... I am using standard head bolts. Now i want to upgrade to a set of ARP stud however I dont know which ones will fit the Accent block... (I dont mind having to oversize the threads in the block). Now im scared if I sink this money into the car again I will blow yet another head gasket...

SO...

2) If I get the o-rings removed from the head and get the head welded and decked again can I use the standard Head gasket (.6mm) MLS instead of the copper gaskets, and if so can they hold 22psi of boost and 300hp?

Now I have been trying to get in contact with seoulful racing with no luck though... Im after some new bits and a few bits i dont have...

There Turbo starter package (manifold, dump pipe and downpipe section)
1.6L adjustable cam sprocket
Seoulful racing 40mm alloy radiator
Coilovers

Guys if someone can help me with getting these other parts it would be greatly appreciated, as for the main post advice please. smile.gif

Cheers Ryan
Old 03-02-2010, 06:46 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Some of the stuff you have seems overkill for 300hp. You shouldn't need a fuel rail, or a modified crank. You may be able to get away with stock rods. And you shouldn't be blowing head gaskets at such low power unless your deck wasn't flat, or you had a bad tune, or overheating problems. I'd check more into that.

I'm not an Alpha expert, but I don't think it has much aftermarket support for internals. Your best bet may be to swap to a 2.0L Beta, that way you can save quite a bit of money by upgrading the internals with off the shelf components. You can easily find rods, pistons, studs, cams, springs, retainers, etc. You can almost get 300hp out of the stock Beta reliably, so maybe you don't even need to spend the money on all that.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:43 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Look here for some parts.

Since you're in Australia, have you talked to T-Wing to see what he did? If I remember right he got his to just under 250whp. I haven't seen him online in years though, last I heard his Accent was for sale.

The Alpha should be able to make 300whp, but it will be cheaper and easier to make that with the Beta and it's only 29kg heavier.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:50 PM

Well im glad some bits are overkill smile.gif

In the alpha and beta turbo's when people have used deompressed pistons what head gasket have they used? My car was nearly making 250 hp but alot of bad sh*t later and here I am sad.gif

Cheers Ryan
Old 03-02-2010, 12:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

I use only stock head gaskets and got 270whp without any issues. No one else does anything special either. But for higher numbers, I would install ARP studs.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:07 AM

ARP dont seem to do a listing for Studs for the 1.6L Accent, im thinking of going and doing a 11mm Stud upgrade, so I will have to get the block drilled and tapped to suit the new studs, hopefully then I can get of 4g63 studs to work, If not I will get Tony Rigoli Performance to make a custom set for me... Same with the main bolts I will get a custom set of Main Studs.

What compression ratio would be best for everyday driving with some weekend track work occasionally... im thinking 8.5:1?

Cheers Ryan