Braking, Wheels, Tires, Suspension Modifications to Brake Rotors, Calipers, Wheels, Tires, Springs, Struts, Coilovers, Swaybars, Strut Tower Braces, etc.

Winter Tires

Old 11-20-2009, 07:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2006 Hyundai Accent
Default Winter Tires

Just a question.

Living up in Canaduh and having to deal with a lot of snow. I decided to by good winter tires for the first time. My though process is sinec they wear out faster then all seasons I figure i'll wait til the first dumping of snow til i put the tires on.

People have had them on since holloween and are suprised i haven't put mine on yet. Keeping in mind we haven't seen any snow yet this year and is only below freezing overnight.

Thanks
Old 11-20-2009, 07:36 AM

Vehicle: 2003 Hyundai Accent

Ive got some decent winter tires too but I'll probably wait til the beginning of December to install them. Also, I don't think its that they 'wear out faster" than your regular no-season tires, but they'll lose their advantage a bit quicker....meaning those big knobs don't lose rubber faster but its their size that counts. Or whatever.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:08 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Subaru Legacy 2.5l Limited

people are asking me why i dont have my winter tires on as well. im waiting for the first snow. why kill the tread on snow tires when you dont need too? you will need the tread so dont waste it.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:33 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

well i do it for a living so ill put my .02

if you can run studded tires DO IT, my favorite this year is the general altimax artic, they are made in west germany (germans know snow...) and have are pinned for studs plus they are generally pretty cheap GENERAL DOES NOT MAKE THIS TIRE its actually made in a semprit factory(continental owns them)

a studded snow tire will do better in the snow than a non, weve actually tested a $100 studded snow tire vs a $200 non studded michelin and the studded stopped faster on the same vehicle

snow tires are of a softer compound, they do wear faster than a normal tire, figure youll get about 30k miles out of a snow tire MOST people use them for 3 seasons the main issue is you dont wear out a snow tire during the snow season i recommend after about half tread you just wear em out after snow season during the summer then buy new ones for the next season
Old 11-21-2009, 03:42 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I do this everyday also and it is true that they wear out faster. As Faith said, the rubber is much softer. Studded are a lot better if you can use them. I know a lot of places especially in the states dont allow use of studded tires.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:56 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

I run studded on the Accent and studless on the Tib. The Accent is what we use for getting around when things are really bad. The Michelin X-Ice studless snows on the Tib are really good for mild climates for dealing with occasional light snow and ice, and I've even taken it over the passes while snowing heavily but for max performance in bad conditions studless will never equal studded performance.

On the other hand, on wet and dry pavement the studless tires are much better.

I need to pick up at least a pair of studded tires for the Accent, and maybe a set of 4 if I can find a good deal. I usually buy 2 new per season, and rotate the previous year's fronts to the rear.

What do those tires run Faith and where am I likely to find them for a decent price if you know?
Old 11-22-2009, 05:33 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

generally i can get em here cheaper than tire rack

but

they are the second best place to find em plus they can stud em for you there

a 225/60r16 runs me about 105 bux each after shipping with studding your best bet is to find a local dealer and ask em how much since alot of places will mount em for "free" for you plus it helps the local community and im pretty sure it will be close to that price