Hyundai Hybrids Want to drop in a Beta for your Hyundai Accent? How about a 4G63 in your Hyundai Elantra? Maybe a Beta 2 for your Hyundai Tiburon? Post all questions here relating to transmissions and engines from other makes and/or models, you want to install in your Hyundai.

turbo genesis coupe engine

Old 11-06-2009, 07:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2K Tib
Default turbo genesis coupe engine

lets say there was a crashed genesis coupe near me and the engine was perfectly fine. will the turbo 4 cylinder drop into a tibs engine bay easily? will the transmission match up to it or would i have to use the genesis tranny with rear axle and driveshaft? what about the the ecu? will it work with the rest of the tibs controls or will everything be completely off?
Old 11-06-2009, 08:36 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

If it was a project that didnt consist of taking your daily driver off the road for awhile, then I would say go for it. But for the amount of money and time it'll take to do this swap...you're better off just getting a standard turbo kit, and call it a day.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 02 Hyundai Accent

I have given some thought to this (Scary huh) and for sure you want the ECM and wiring harness to go with the motor. There would be lots of rewiring involved but if you can read a wiring schematic you can pull it off. As for the trans, well i have no idea, I would be suprised if the beta trans fit the Genesis motor. So I would grab along with what I mentioned, the rear axle, related suspension components and drive line along with the trans. Thats a monster project but it would be sweet. If you are looking for just the turbo I would boost the beta and leave that beast project alone.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:51 AM

Vehicle: 2002 Accent

it's a theta right? which is also in the sonata, forte, optima, those are all fwd so you might be able to use their trannys

sounds like a pricey project and i don't know where you'll find a wrecked gen coup yet
Old 11-06-2009, 10:06 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ereeves116 @ Nov 6 2009, 08:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>it's a theta right? which is also in the sonata, forte, optima, those are all fwd so you might be able to use their trannys

sounds like a pricey project and i don't know where you'll find a wrecked gen coup yet</div>
Well then , grab the tranny from those and your good, forget the whole rear section
Old 11-06-2009, 10:25 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ereeves116 @ Nov 6 2009, 11:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>sounds like a pricey project and i don't know where you'll find a wrecked gen coup yet</div>

Old 11-06-2009, 10:57 AM

concrete n metal post FTW
Old 11-06-2009, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Yeah, use the Forte's 6 speed fwd trans. Either run a standalone or full harness, all sensors (including body and wheel), ECU, and BCM from the Gen Coupe (not as easy as it use to be with newer CAN systems). Poweraxle might be able to remove the need for the BCM and random sensors around the car trough his reprogramming software, but I don't know that for sure.

I personally would take the Forte or Sonata's 2.4l engine over the Gen Coupe's 2.0l engine unless you're looking for 300+hp. With 175hp stock the N/A 2.4l is no slouch. Add a few pounds of boost to that and you'll be looking at 250hp without even trying.

At the end of the day, It's not really a worthwhile swap because of how much you can get out of a Beta. The engines essentially weigh the same even though the Theta has an aluminum block. With the exhaust on the firewall side room for a turbo will be tight also.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:58 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Accent

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Visionz @ Nov 6 2009, 10:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'></div>

i bet the engine is good on that one lol
Old 11-06-2009, 07:57 PM

Vehicle: 2002 hyundai accent

the block for the genisis coupe will not likely be drilled to accept transverse mounting (speculating i dont actually know this). you could probably swap internals (rods, pistons, head or cams,..) with a fwd theta to make it more turbo friendly (maybe even a genisis computer for the correct fuel and timing). this would basically give you a fwd version of the genisis motor.

-just because it seems impossible doesn't mean it is. im sure the first person to put a beta in an accent was told they were crazy and it would be easier to turbo the 1.5 with scoupe parts but now you can do it in a day.

-but like Visionz said it cant be your daily driver because there will be alot of trial and error with getting this to work.

-fyi- the seriesII v6 GM used in the 90s had a fwd and a rwd version and the blocks were not interchangeable-this came in camaros, firebirds, grandprix, monte carlos, etc..